Put on your smart suit, it’s time to go to work! It’s Monday! I don’t know whether you’re a Monday person or not but let’s start with a bit of reversed psychology: not everyone hates Mondays! For every optimist out there Monday is a day for a brand new start. It’s a chance to start over, change one’s perspective, and make new decisions. Take a look below for 30 fun and interesting facts about Mondays.
1. The name Monday comes from the Old English word “Mōnandæg,” and the Middle English word “Monenday.” From there, we have the modern English word Monday.
2. Germanic languages were influenced by Old English with the Old German word Manetag leading to the modern German word Montag.
3. The Latin term for Monday is “Dies Lunae”, which literally means “Day of the Moon”.
4. In Chinese, Monday is “xīngqīyī” which translated “day one of the week.”
5. In Turkey, Monday is called “Pazartesi” meaning “after Sunday.”
6. Monday also means “after Sunday/holiday” in many Slavic languages.
7. In the UK “Monday” is a jargon term used to explain a heavy, large sledgehammer.
8. Quakers refer to Monday as the “second day.”
9. Monday’s single word anagram is the word “dynamo.”
10. Scientists have found Monday to be the day of the week when you’ll weigh the most, even if you sustain a steady weight.
11. On a Monday the average person moans for 34 minutes, compared to the other days (22 minutes) according to a 2011 study.
12. It’s Monday and you’re late for work? You’re not the only one. Nearly 50% of workers are late to work on a Monday too.
13. The biggest demographic on a Monday to be subjected to more stress are professionals over 40.
14. The majority of people do their online shopping on a Monday.
15. Many lazy, unmotivated, and bored employees shop online on a Monday.
16. Do you need a new car? Ask yourselves when is the best time to buy one? The answer is Monday. Studies have shown people usually avoid buying a car on a weekend, as these are the busiest days for car sales.
17. Statistically, Monday is the most likely day that the U.S. Stock Market will rise, rather than fall.
18. A study managed by Marmite in 2011 presented that the average UK person won’t crack a smile until 11:16 A.M. on a Monday.
19. It’s also believed that the productivity of workers is at its all-time low on Mondays.
20. It is shown that workers only manage 3.5 hours of work throughout a Monday which means that they’re 30% less productive.
21. “I Don’t Like Mondays”, The Boomtown Rats song was inspired by shooting in America by killer Brenda Spencer. When she was questioned by the police about her motivations for the murder her answer was, believe it or not, “I don’t like Mondays”.
22. There were 53 Mondays in 2012 and 2018 and again in 2024.
23. To get over the Monday sadness or Monday Blues, according to researches all you need to do is buy and eat sweets, do some online shopping and watch TV.
24. Part of the reason why Mondays suck so much is socializing. Researchers have found out that being away from a work-related social group for a weekend makes us feel insecure and in need to secure our place in our social work environment.
25. Some researchers state that Monday morning gossiping at work is a significant aspect of helping us get through the day.
26. Monday is commonly referred to as a “suicide day,” being that day when most people take their own lives.
27. There’s a 20% increase of heart attacks on a Monday, known as “Heart attack day”.
28. The precise science behind this fact is unknown, but Mondays are the least rainy day of the week. Researchers think it’s due to the reduction in man-made pollution over the weekend.
29. Scientists found out Monday to be no different from Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday regarding people’s emotions.
30. Still, when they asked people to say which day was the most stressful they all answered – Monday. This is because of a larger emotional change from Sunday to Monday than there is between Tuesday and Wednesday.