Bar Refaeli is an Israeli model, television host, actress and businesswoman. She is considered among the most internationally successful models to come from Israel, alongside models such as Nina Brosh and Michaela Bercu. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Bar Refaeli.
1. As a result of her modelling and investment career, her net worth was estimated at $20 million in 2015.
2. According to Forbes Israel, she was the highest-paid model in Israel in 2013, ahead of the combined modeling income of other Israeli models such as Esti Ginzburg, Gal Gadot, and Shlomit Malka.
3. he was the cover model of the 2009 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, and was voted No. 1 on Maxim Magazine’s Hot 100 list of 2012.
4. As a television host, Refaeli has hosted of “The X Factor Israel” since 2013 and co-hosted the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 in Tel Aviv.
5. Refaeli was born and raised in Hod HaSharon, Israel, to a secular Jewish family.
6. In Hebrew, her first name means “wild”, and her surname literally means “God heals” and is a derivative of the biblical angel Raphael.
7. Her parents were both born in Israel, and her grandparents were immigrants from Europe and of Sephardic Jewish and Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
8. Her grandparents were Holocaust survivors.
9. Her mother was a successful model in the 1970s under her maiden name, Tzipora “Tzipi” Levine.
10. Refaeli began modeling at the age of eight months, when she first appeared in commercials. Orthodonture at 12 interrupted her modeling until she was 15, when an Israeli fashion awards ceremony awarded Refaeli “Model of the Year”.
11. She played prominently in campaigns for the fashion brands Castro and Pilpel, and she starred in a Milky pudding commercial.
12. Refaeli became the second Israeli model to appear in Sports Illustrated magazine, in her 2007 debut in its Swimsuit Issue, where she posed with the rock band Aerosmith.
13. Southwest Airlines painted a bikini-clad Refaeli from that shoot on the side of its Boeing 737, which led some passengers to criticize the airline for what they regarded as prurient, and hence “offensive to families.”
14. Refaeli has modeled for Subaru, Accessorize, Brazilian clothing line Besni, Italian jewelry line Marco Bicego, and Rampage.
15. In 2009, she modeled for Garnier International.
16. On March 5, 2009, Refaeli received the World Style Award presented by the Women’s World Awards for her “natural elegance, sense of style and compassion.”
17. In April 2012, Shalom Life ranked her fourth on its list of the “50 most talented, intelligent, funny, and gorgeous Jewish women in the world.”
18. As of March 2017, Refaeli was the second most influential person on Israeli Instagram, according to the Israeli Internet Association, behind Anna Zak, but ahead of Neta Alchimister.
19. Refaeli invests in a variety of business ventures in Israel, and has also launched her own.
20. Refaeli has an ownership stake in a number of fashion companies, such as in the designer glasses manufacturer Carolina Lemke.
21. In September 2018 it was announced that Kim Kardashian will be the face of the brand alongside Refaeli and the two will appear in a promotional campaign together.
22. In 2011, Refaeli and Dudi Balsar, an attorney and former male model, set up an E-commerce company called Under.me, to sell designer underwear. As well as being its investor, Refaeli runs business development for the venture.
23. In 2013, her startup “Mika Look”, which is an iPad app that allows users to purchase the items that models are wearing, raised $1.2 million in its first financing round.
24. Refaeli is one of the main investors behind MyCheck, which processes payments behind smart phones, and which raised $1.7 million in its first financing round. In its second financing round, it raised $4.2 million.
25. In late 2015, Refaeli was accused of concealing millions of shekels of annual income, with Bar Refaeli having an estimated net worth of US $20 million in 2015. It was revealed she had recently bought a NIS 15 million apartment in Tel Aviv, as well as a NIS 2.5 million apartment for her younger brother.
26. On December 16, 2015, Israeli tax authorities in Tel Aviv detained Refaeli and her mother overnight for questioning related to potential tax evasion; she was accused of failing to pay income tax on two vehicles that she received as compensation for posing in pictures with the vehicles, and for evading taxes by disguising her Israeli residency by renting a luxury apartment in Tel Aviv through relatives.
27. On January 3, 2019 it was announced that Bar Refaeli is reportedly suspected of tax evasion and is facing a possible indictment along with her family. On April 22, 2019, it was announced that Refaeli had lost her case and had to pay “tens of millions of shekels in unpaid income tax for the years 2009 and 2010”.
28. In November 2005, she began a relationship with Leonardo DiCaprio after meeting him at a party in Las Vegas thrown for members of U2.
29. Refaeli became engaged to Israeli businessman Adi Ezra in March 2015. The couple were married in Israel on 24 September 2015.
30. She and Ezra have two daughters, Liv Ezra and Elle Ezra.