Raichu is an Electric type Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves from Pikachu when exposed to a Thunder Stone. It is the final form of Pichu. In Alola, Raichu has a regional variant that is Electric and Psychic. It evolves from Pikachu when exposed to a Thunder Stone. Take a look below for 30 fun and fascinating facts about Raichu.
1. Raichu is a bipedal, rodent like Pokemon.
2. Raichu is covered in dark orange fur with a white belly.
3. Its bifurcated ears are brown on the outside, yellow on the insides, and end in a distinctive curl.
4. There is a circular yellow marking on each cheek where its electric sacs are, and it has a triangular, dark brown nose.
5. Its arms and feet have patches of brown fur at the end, and the soles of its long feet are tan with a circular orange pad in the center.
6. On its back are two horizontal brown stripes.
7. Its long, thin tail has a lightning bolt-shaped end. This lightning bolt is smaller on females.
8. Raichu exudes a weak electrical charge from all its body and glows slightly in the dark.
9. Raichu’s tail is used to gather electricity from the atmosphere, or it can be planted in the ground to search for electricity.
10. It can store over 100,000 volts of electricity.
11. If Raichu’s sacs are fully charged, its ears will stand straight up and its muscles become stimulated. However, it will become aggressive if it has stored too much electricity.
12. To keep from reaching this state, it discharges electricity through its tail into the ground.
13. This leads to scorched patches near its nest.
14. Being the result of an evolution via evolutionary stone, Raichu is rarely found in the wild, though they can be found in forests and woodlands.
15. Like the two others in its evolutionary family, Raichu is able to learn Volt Tackle as a signature move.
16. In Alola, Raichu has lighter coloring and more rounded features. Its eyes are blue with yellow half-circles along the bottom. It has large yellow ears with an inner spiral toward the base and brown on the inside. These ears are thicker and less pointed than a standard Raichu’s ear.
17. In addition to its white belly, Alolan Raichu has white markings on its paws with bright yellow lines between its digits. The stripes on its back have also turned white, and there is a small, white circular marking on each heel. The lightning bolt-shaped tip of its tail has rounded edges.
18. By collecting its psychic power in its tail, it is able to ride it like a surfboard and float in the air. While its cheek sacs are still used to store electricity, rubbing them releases a sweet aroma. This is also thought to be connected to its Psychic abilities.
19. Raichu’s transformation in Alola into Alolan Raichu is mostly a mystery, but the people of Alola suggest that it ate too many sweet and fluffy pancakes. Researchers do believe the change is related to diet. Alolan Raichu is also sometimes called “hodad”.
20. It is the only known Pokémon capable of using the exclusive Z-Move Stoked Sparksurfer.
21. Raichu and Alolan Raichu were created by Atsuko Nishida.
22. Raichu originally had an evolution named “Gorochu”, which would have had two horns and fangs. Sugimori stated that while there was nothing wrong with its appearance, it was nonetheless omitted, as the staff found that the game balance was better without it.
23. No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Alolan Raichu.
24. In Pokémon Red and Blue, there is a Scientist at the Pokémon Lab in Cinnabar Island who will trade a Raichu for an Electrode. If the player talks to him after the trade, he will mention that the Raichu evolved, which is not possible. This mistake was due to the original translation of the script of the Japanese Blue (in which this person traded a Graveler for a Kadabra) rather than that of Pokémon Red and Green. This error was corrected in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, as the script was re-translated.
25. Raichu’s FireRed and Sun Pokédex entries reference a 1903 documentary film called Electrocuting an Elephant by Thomas Edison.
26. Several Pokédex entries claim Raichu can discharge up to 100,000 volts. However, its Stadium entry claims it can only discharge up to 10,000 volts. This is likely a translation error due to the way numbers are read in Japanese, where 100,000 literally reads “ten ten-thousands”.
27. Raichu appears in every regional Pokédex except the Unova Pokédex.
28. Although Pikachu is the starter of Pokémon Yellow, it is not possible to directly evolve it into Raichu in the game, and must be traded in from Red and Blue. This inability to evolve Pikachu is a reference to Ash’s Pikachu in the anime.
29. Raichu’s number in the National Pokédex and the Alola Pokédex in Pokémon Sun and Moon are the same: 026.
30. Alolan Raichu is the only regional variant Pokémon to have a Z-Move exclusive to it.