Holly Madison is a model, showgirl, television personality and New York Times best-selling author. Madison is known for her role in the E! reality television show The Girls Next Door and for her own series, Holly’s World. In July 2015, Madison released her first book and memoir, Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny. Take a look below for 26 more fascinating and interesting facts about Holly Madison.
1. Madison was born in Astoria, Oregon.
2. At age two, she lived with her family in Craig, Alaska, on Prince of Wales Island.
3. When she was in middle school, her family returned to St. Helens, Oregon.
4. She later attended Portland State University for two years, majoring in theater and psychology.
5. Afterward, Madison moved to Los Angeles and attended Loyola Marymount University.
6. To afford her college tuition, Madison competed to become a Hawaiian Tropic model and worked as a waitress at Hooters.
7. Her appearance at these venues led to invitations to the Playboy Mansion and at the age of 21, after more than a year of such visits, Madison was asked to move in.
8. Facing credit card debt and potential homelessness, in August 2001, Madison moved into the Mansion and officially became one of Hugh Hefner’s girlfriends.
9. Hefner controlled her finances, enforced a strict schedule and curfew, and denied her opportunities to earn income outside the mansion.
10. In February 2002, after all but two of his girlfriends left, Madison became his “#1 Girl”.
11. During her time with Hefner, Madison stated that she wanted to marry him and have his children.
12. However, during an interview at the Playmate of the Year luncheon in May 2008, Hefner stated, “I love Holly very much and I think we’re going to be together the rest of my life, but marriage isn’t part of my puzzle. It’s not a personal thing; I just haven’t had much luck with marriages.”
13. Reflecting back on her time at the mansion, Madison has described her feelings for Hef as being attributed to Stockholm syndrome.
14. On October 7, 2008, Madison announced that her relationship with Hefner had ended, but that she, Bridget Marquardt and Kendra Wilkinson were “still filming stuff together.”
15. In 2009, Madison stated, “I’m never dating anybody again. I don’t need a man. I’m really happy with myself and being with my friends… I’m focused on forwarding my career. I’m working on producing my own shows. Girls Next Door was a great place to start but it was somebody else’s show. I’m just ready to move on.”
16. Madison has spoken openly about her cosmetic surgeries, having had both rhinoplasty and breast augmentation.
17. After the latter procedure, her bust measurements went from an A-cup to a D.
18. In 2011, Madison announced that she had insured her breasts for $1 million.
19. In August 2012, Madison announced that she and Pasquale Rotella, whom she began dating in 2011, were expecting their first child together.
20. Madison gave birth to their daughter in March 2013, in Las Vegas.
21. Madison and Rotella were married at Disneyland on September 10, 2013 with Marquardt as a bridesmaid, and reside in Las Vegas.
22. Madison gave birth to her second child, a son in August 2016.
23. Rotella and Madison are separated as of September 25, 2018, stated to be amicable.
24. In February 2019, the divorce was finalized.
25. She is a supporter of animal welfare and has posed for two of PETA’s anti-fur ads.
26. In May 2016, Holly released her second memoir The Vegas Diaries: Romance, Rolling the Dice and the Road to Reinvention, which debuted on The New York Times Bestseller list. The book chronicles her journey toward reinvention and self-acceptance in glamorous Las Vegas.