Froakie is a Water-type Pokémon introduced in Generation VI. It evolves into Frogadier starting at level 16, which evolves into Greninja starting at level 36. Along with Chespin and Fennekin, Froakie is one of three starter Pokémon of Kalos available at the beginning of Pokémon X and Y.
Along with Chespin, Fennekin, Xerneas, and Yveltal, it was the first Generation VI Pokémon to be revealed to the public on January 8, 2013 as part of the Pokémon Direct broadcast. Take a look below for 25 interesting and fun facts about Froakie.
1. Froakie is a quadruped, frog like Pokemon.
2. It has light blue skin, white hands, and a dark blue stripe from the center of its oval head to its nose.
3. Its eyes, which have yellow sclerae, black irises, and white pupils, protrude vertically from its head due to their size.
4. Froakie produces a large mane of bubbles from its chest and back and has two small bubbles on its nose.
5. The delicate yet flexible bubbles, called Frubbles (Japanese: ケロムース Keromousse), reduce the damage Froakie takes from attacks.
6. It has three fingers and two toes on its hands and feet.
7. Despite its carefree attitude, it is vigilant of its surroundings.
8. Froakie is both light and strong, making it capable of jumping incredibly high.
9. With 71 base speed, Froakie has the highest single stat out of any of the starter Pokémon.
10. Froakie is based on a frog.
11. Its bubbling white foam is a reference to frog foam nests, created by some species such as the Tungara frog and grey foam-nest tree frog to protect eggs.
12. Froakie’s foam resembles a “backpack” of sorts, and has also been used in the anime as a makeshift hood, which is more than likely a reference to dorobō (burglars or thieves). In Japanese folklore and culture, dorobō use furoshiki cloth bags to hold stolen goods and mask their identity, referenced in Froakie’s usage of its foam.
13. In the older games, the Burglar Trainer class took on the appearance of dorobō. Considering its evolutions, its characteristics, as well as its association with thievery, Froakie may also be based on a ninja.
14. Froakie may be a combination of frog, froth, croak, and rookie.
15. Froakie debuted in Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!. It appeared again in Lumiose City Pursuit!, where it helped Ash calm down a Garchomp. It then decided to follow Ash, allowing him to catch it and become Ash’s first capture in Kalos. Froakie evolved into a Frogadier in A Stealthy Challenge! during a battle alongside Pikachu and Sanpei’s Greninja against Saizo’s Barbaracle.
16. A Froakie appeared in a photo in The Legend of the Ninja Hero! as the unevolved form of Sanpei’s Greninja.
17. Multiple Froakie appeared in a flashback in Cloudy Fate, Bright Future!. They saw one of their own, who would later become Ash’s, as a disturbance to their group due to its strange and distant behavior, and attacked it as a result.
18. A Mirror World Froakie appeared in a flashback in The Cave of Mirrors!, under the ownership of Mirror Ash. It was used in a battle against Mirror Serena’s Fennekin, but it was defeated.
19. A Froakie appeared in A Battle of Aerial Mobility! and A Shockingly Cheeky Friendship!, where Professor Sycamore offered it to Serena as her starter Pokémon before she chose Fennekin.
20. A starter Pokémon Froakie appeared in Day Three Blockbusters!.
21. A Froakie appeared alongside a Chespin and Fennekin in the opening sequence of Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel, during which all three starter Pokémon were seen evolving into their first and then final evolved forms.
22. Two Froakie appeared in Till We Compete Again!. One was a starter Pokémon that was offered as a choice for a Youngster to choose from. The second was seen on a video screen in the Lumiose City airport.
23. Three Froakie appeared during a flashback in The Legend of X, Y, and Z!, with one of them under the ownership of a Trainer and the other two being wild.
24. Ash’s Froakie appeared in Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction.
25. In An X-cuse to Come Out and Play, Professor Sycamore gave Trevor three starter Pokémon so that X might choose one and stop his shut-in behavior. After battling with Y several times, Froakie was taken by her and named Croaky. He later evolved into a Frogadier.