Wailord is a Water type Pokemon introduced in Generation III. It evolves from Wailmer starting at level 40. Take a look below for 25 fun and interesting facts about Wailord.
1. Wailord is a huge Pokemon based on the blue whale.
2. It has small beady eyes, a huge mouth, and a throat that is lined with grooves.
3. It has a blue back with and four white spots, and a tan, grooved underbelly.
4. It has two pairs of fins along its sides and a horizontal tail at the back.
5. When it is jumping out of the water, it makes a giant splash due to its large size.
6. It can create shockwaves by breaching and crashing onto the water, which can knock out the opponents.
7. It can dive deep at 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) in one breath.
8. It lives in the sea in large groups called pods.
9. A pod of Wailord travels together in order to search for food, and is able to eat large quantities at one time, such as schools of Wishiwashi.
10. When a Wailmer is attacked by its predators Sharpedo or Dhelmise, its whole pod works to defend it.
11. Wailord is popular due to its immense size. As a result, Wailord-watching is a favorite sightseeing activity in various parts of the world. However, they are known to be driven away by fishermen, so they don’t eat too much fish Pokémon.
12. Wailord has the highest base HP of all Water-type Pokémon.
13. Wailord is the tallest Water-type Pokémon.
14. In Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, Wailord was resized to fit in the battlefield. In Pokémon Battle Revolution, however, its size matches its Pokédex entry.
15. Wailord is the only Pokémon in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia that doesn’t need to be captured to be added to the Browser; its Browser entry explains that it is too big to capture.
16. Wailord and its pre-evolution’s Egg Groups (Field and Water 2) are unique.
17. In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, the player can get the Wailord Watcher Medal by spotting a Wailord in the Marine Tube.
18. Wailord is based on the blue whale, the largest known animal to ever exist. It also resembles a submarine, a blimp, and a torpedo.
19. Wailord is a combination of whale, wail (referring to the sounds or songs that whales and this Pokémon might make), and lord.
20. Wailord debuted in Having a Wailord of a Time. The Float Whale Pokémon was stuck on a beach near a Pokémon Center. Team Rocket tried to haul it away, but a Combusken foiled their plans.
21. A Wailord appeared in Island Time. It evolved from a Wailmer that befriended Robin in order to transport Ash and his friends across the ocean. The group disembarked when they came across a ship heading for Ever Grande City.
22. Multiple Wailord appeared in Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea. Manaphy rode atop one during the group’s voyage to Samiya. Several later actively participated in the showdown between the Water Pokémon and the Phantom and his crew. One briefly reappeared in a montage in The Rise of Darkrai, which chronicled the preceding nine movies.
23. A Wailord appeared in PK19, where both Pikachu and Meowth‘s groups landed on top of it. It was eventually disturbed by Seviper’s Haze and was prompted to use Brine, which sent them all blasting off.
24. Multiple Wailord appeared in Leading a Stray!, alongside a Wailmer that was separated from its family. Ash spent much of the episode helping Wailmer get back to its pod. By the end of the episode, it evolved into a Wailord.
25. A Wailord appeared in The Road to Humilau!, under the ownership of Marlon. It was used to transport Marlon, Ash, and Cameron to the Humilau Gym.