Mightyena is a Dark type Pokemon introduced in Generation III. It evolves from Poochyena starting at level 18. Take a look below for 25 fun and fascinating facts about Mightyena.
1. Mightyena is a quadruped Pokemon that is based on a hyena.
2. Its fur is mostly short and gray, but there is shaggy black fur on its lower legs, tail, and in two thick strips starting behind its eyes and running the length of its body.
3. It has dark, triangular streak patterns below its eyes, which are red with yellow sclerae.
4. Its ears are rhombus-shaped with dark insides, its nose is red, and it has gray paw pads.
5. Mightyena lives in a pack in the wild.
6. As a member of this pack follows the orders of its leader and chases down prey.
7. It gives obvious signals when it is about to attack, as it starts to growl deeply and flattens its body.
8. Mightyena defeats foes with perfectly coordinated teamwork.
9. If its Trainer is very experienced, it will always obey their orders.
10. As depicted in the anime, Mightyena is prone to licking the faces of the people of which it is fond.
11. This species lives in grasslands and savannas.
12. Early artwork, including Ken Sugimori’s official art and some TCG art, shows Mightyena with a black nose instead of a red nose.
13. Mightyena and its pre-evolution share their category with Drednaw. They are all known as Bite Pokémon.
14. Mightyena shares some similarities with both wolves and hyenas. The design may have been influenced by domestic breeds like the German Shepherd and the Australian Kelpie, a breed with personalities that are heavily influenced by their owners. German Shepherds are also commonly colored black and gray. Its appearance may also be based on a brown hyena. Mightyena’s Shiny form, as well as the fact that it is a pack animal, is reminiscent of a spotted hyena.
15. Mightyena may be a combination of mighty and hyena.
16. Four Mightyena debuted in A Bite to Remember, all under the ownership of Katrina. They were used to help Katrina protect a Pokémon reserve. One of them started out as a Poochyena in the episode, but it evolved after befriending Max.
17. A Mightyena debuted in Oaknapped!, under the ownership of Butch. It appeared again in A Date With Delcatty and Luvdisc is a Many Splendored Thing!.
18. Multiple Mightyena debuted in A Three Team Scheme!, under the ownership of Team Magma Grunts. They served as Team Magma’s main Pokémon. They reappeared in The Spheal of Approval, Fight for the Meteorite!, Gaining Groudon!, and The Scuffle of Legends.
19. A Mightyena appeared in Jirachi: Wish Maker, under the ownership of Butler. He used it during his magic show in the Millennium Festival. Mightyena later helped attach a tracking device to a van Ash and his friends were using to evade Butler and go to Forina.
20. A Mightyena appeared in Zoroark: Master of Illusions, under the ownership of Joe, Karl’s grandfather. It worked alongside Tammy’s Tangrowth to catch Zorua, and participated in the final battle against Grings Kodai.
21. A Mightyena appeared in A Festival of Decisions!, under the ownership of the ninja army. It participated in the attack on Ninja Village.
22. A Mightyena appeared in SS007, under the ownership of Houji. It was used during the Battle Frontier Flute Cup, where it defeated Go’s Scyther and Scorbunny before losing to Ash’s Pikachu in the final round.
23. A Mightyena appeared in Brock’s demonstration in A Bite to Remember, where it evolved from a Poochyena.
24. A Mightyena appeared in the opening sequence of Destiny Deoxys.
25. A Coordinator’s Mightyena appeared in Mean With Envy.