Wilsonville is a city primarily in Clackamas County, Oregon, United States. A portion of the northern section of the city is in Washington County. Take a look below for 25 amazing and interesting facts about Wilsonville, Oregon, United States.
1. It was founded as Boones Landing because of the Boones Ferry which crossed the Willamette River at the location; the community became Wilsonville in 1880.
2. The city was incorporated in 1969 with a population of approximately 1,000.
3. The population was 13,991 at the 2000 census, and grew to 19,509 as of 2010.
4. Slightly more than 90% of residents at the 2000 census were white, with Hispanics comprising the largest minority group.
5. Located within the Portland metropolitan area, the city also includes the planned communities of Charbonneau on the south side of the river, and Villebois on the western edge.
6. The city is bisected by Interstate 5 and includes I-5’s Boone Bridge over the Willamette.
7. Public transportation is provided by the city-owned South Metro Area Regional Transit, which connects to the Portland-based TriMet by train through TriMet’s WES and by bus at the Tualatin Park & Ride.
8. Students in public schools attend schools in the West Linn-Wilsonville and Canby school districts, including the only traditional high school, Wilsonville High School. Clackamas Community College and Oregon Tech have satellite campuses in the city.
9. Wilsonville has a council-manager form of government and operates its own library, public works, and parks department.
10. Fire and police protection are contracted out to other regional government agencies.
11. The city is home to several technology companies including Mentor Graphics, along with Stream Global Services, the largest employer in the city.
12. Wilsonville contains many distribution and manufacturing buildings adjacent to Interstate 5 such as regional distribution facilities for Coca-Cola and Rite Aid.
13. Retail centers include Argyle Square on the north and the Town Center Shopping Center to the south.
14. Media in Wilsonville consists of the Portland area broadcast stations, regional newspapers, and the local Wilsonville Spokesman newspaper.
15. Alphonso Boone, the grandson of Daniel Boone, settled in what would later become Wilsonville in 1846 and established the Boones Ferry across the Willamette River in 1847.
16. The ferry gave rise to the community of Boones Landing, which eventually grew into Wilsonville. Originally, the area was part of what became Yamhill County, but was transferred to the current Clackamas County in 1855. The first post office was established in 1876 with the name Boones Ferry.
17. Wilsonville became the name of the community on June 3, 1880, named after the first postmaster, Charles Wilson. That same year the first school, Wilsonville Grade School, was opened as a single-room building.
18. By 1890, the railroad had reached town and the community contained depot, several hotels, a saloon, a tavern, a bank, and several other commercial establishments.
19. In 1897, the twelve school districts in the vicinity of Wilsonville up to Lake Oswego merged to create a single district.
20. A railroad bridge was built across the river for the Oregon Electric Railway beginning in 1906. The bridge was completed the next year and service from Wilsonville south to Salem began in 1908.
21. A new Methodist church was built in the community in 1910, which was used until 1988 and is still standing. Two years later, a new two-room school replaced the old one-room school, which in turn was replaced by a modern school in the mid 1900s, all on the same property.
22. In 1939, the wooden trestle part of the railroad bridge across the Willamette caught fire and burned. Boones Ferry was decommissioned after the Boone Bridge opened in 1954 carrying what was then the Baldock Freeway, and is today Interstate 5.
23. In 1961, the Dammasch State Hospital mental hospital opened on the west side of the community. Gordon House, the only house in Oregon to be designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright, was built in 1963 near what became Charbonneau and moved to the Oregon Garden in 2001.
24. Wilsonville was flooded in 1964 and the first fire station was built in 1966. Wilsonville was incorporated as a city on October 10, 1968, with a population of about 1,000. In 1971, the planned community of Charbonneau on the south side of the river was annexed into the city the year after development began.
25. In 1988, the city opened their first library building, which replaced the one-room library located in space leased from the school district. The population grew to 7,106 at the 1990 census, and in 1991 the Town Center Shopping Center along Wilsonville Road opened. Due to growth in the West Linn-Wilsonville School District, the school board approved building a new high school to be located in Wilsonville in 1992.