Totodile is a Water type Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It evolves into Croconaw starting at level 18, which evolves into Feraligatr starting at level 30. Along with Chikorita and Cyndaquil, Totodile is one of the three starter Pokemon of Johto available at the beginning of Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold and SoulSilver. Take a look below for 23 fun and fascinating facts about Totodile.
1. Totodile is a bipedal, crocodilian Pokemon with well-developed jaws.
2. It has red eyes with ridges above them, black markings around its eyes, and several sharp teeth.
3. On its chest is a yellow, V-shaped marking that extends to its arms; there is a thin line through the center of the marking.
4. Totodile has five fingers and three toes.
5. Down its back is a row of three red spines with a small, red ridge on either side.
6. The tip of its tail has a single red spine as well.
7. Totodile tends to be playful by nature and has a habit of biting anything it sees, including its Trainer. However, its jaws are capable of crushing anything, so it sometimes causes serious injuries.
8. Totodile is scarce in the wild, though it can be found around bodies of water like rivers, ponds, and lakes.
9. Totodile is based on a baby crocodilian.
10. Totodile is a combination of tot and crocodile.
11. Ash caught a Totodile in The Totodile Duel, after battling for ownership over it with Misty. Totodile, who had a very playful personality, remained with him throughout Ash’s journey in the Johto region, before he left it in Professor Oak’s lab while leaving for Hoenn.
12. Wani-Wani is Marina’s starter Pokémon that she received from Professor Elm. It evolved into a Croconaw prior to The Legend of Thunder!, and then into a Feraligatr prior to A Stand-Up Sit-Down!.
13. A Totodile appeared in An Egg Scramble!, under the ownership of Khoury. It made subsequent appearances in A Rivalry to Gible On! and Bagged Then Tagged!. In the latter episode, it evolved into a Croconaw.
14. Totodile debuted in Don’t Touch That ‘dile, under the ownership of Professor Elm. It fled from his care and found Team Rocket, whereupon it chomped down on Jessie’s hair. Ash and his friends eventually managed to get Totodile back to Professor Elm.
15. A Totodile appeared in Arceus and the Jewel of Life, where it assisted Pikachu and Spiky-eared Pichu during the past.
16. A Totodile appeared in The Power of Us, where it was among the Pokémon following Harriet around.
17. A Totodile appeared in Up Close and Personable! as a resident of the lake near the Pokémon Summer Academy.
18. A Totodile appeared in Meloetta’s Moonlight Serenade as one of the Pokémon watching Meloetta’s concert.
19. A Trainer’s Totodile appeared in Battling Besties!.
20. Ash’s Totodile appears in The Grand Rhydon Plan.
21. In Magical Pokémon Journey, Pikachu and Clefairy meet a Totodile in The Happiness Clover. Totodile tricks Pikachu and Clefairy into finding him a four-leaf clover, though in the end he admits to tricking them and they become friends.
22. Jō owns a Totodile as his starter Pokémon in Pocket Monsters HGSS Jō’s Big Adventure. It evolved into a Croconaw and then into a Feraligatr.
23. Silver stole a Totodile from Professor Elm’s lab in Sneasel Sneak Attack, though it first appeared in Murkrow Row. He was then able to evolve into Croconaw after destroying a built-in iron ball trap with Exbo’s help, but being left in a coma after his Trainer and Gold’s defeat against the Masked Man left him unable to evolve until the fight with an outraged Lugia enticed all three of the Johto starter Pokémon to evolve. With his increased strength and Surf ability, he is the major mainstay of Silver’s team.