Katja Mira Herbers, born October 18, 1980, is a Dutch theater, film, and television actress. She’s best known for portraying Dr. Helen Prins on the American television series Manhattan and the emotionally unstable borderliner Joyce on the Dutch show Divorce. Take a look below for 21 more interesting and awesome facts about Katja Herbers.
1. Herbers is the daughter of violinist Vera Beths and the oboist and conductor Werner Herbers.
2. Growing up, she spent time in America, accompanying her mother on tour with the group L’Archibudelli.
3. Her mother remarried cellist Anner Bylsma and her father remarried costume designer Leonie Polak, who introduced her to the theater.
4. She had a Canadian au pair and learned to speak Dutch, German and English growing up.
5. She attended the Ignatius Gymnasium in Amsterdam.
6. Herbers studied psychology at the University of Amsterdam from 1999 to 2000.
7. During her psychology studies, she attended the local theater school De Trap.
8. Herbers eventually moved to New York and went to the HB Studio.
9. In 2001, she got accepted to the Theaterschool in Amsterdam, which she attended from 2001 to 2005.
10. She was raised by a German father, a Dutch mother and a Canadian nanny, which means that she speaks English, German and Dutch perfectly.
11. Coming from a family of famous classical musicians, Katja is very musical herself. She sings and acts Schubert and Schumann songs in a theatrical setting with a small orchestra.
12. She won the Guido de Moor Price for her portrayal of Irina in Tjechov’s Three Sisters.
13. During her studies in university, she starred in the movies Peter Bell and Brush with Fate.
14. After her graduation, Herbers became a member of Johan Simons’s Theater Company NTGent in Ghent.
15. At one point, Herbers joined the renowned Munich Kammerspiele in Germany.
16. She worked with directors such as Alex van Warmerdam, Ivo van Hove and Theu Boermans, under whose direction she performed many Schnitzler plays, including his monologue Fraulein Elsa, for which she received great reviews.
17. She played a lead role in Theu Boermans’ DE UITVERKORENE, which won an International Emmy and the prestigious Prix D’Europe.
18. In 2013, she performed the piece Im wunderschonen Monat Mai, 21 songs after Schubert and Schumann, with pianist, conductor and composer Reinbert de Leeuw.
19. In February 2014, she won the role of physicist Helen Prins in WGN American’s drama series Manhattan.
20. Herbers played a recurring role in the third season of FX’s The Americans.
21. In 2018, she joined the cast of HBO’s Westworld as Emily.