Joseph Matthew Alwyn is an English actor. He has starred in films such as Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and The Favorite. Take a look below for 20 more fun and fascinating facts about Joe Alwyn.
1. Raised in Tufnell Park and Crouch End, North London, Alwyn is the son of a psychotherapist mother and a documentary filmmaker father.
2. He is the great-grandson of composer William Alwyn.
3. He was educated at the City of London School.
4. Although an “introverted” child, he secretly wanted to be an actor.
5. He became a member of the National Youth Theatre in his late teens.
6. While studying English literature and drama at the University of Bristol, he acted in two student productions at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
7. After graduating in 2012, he completed a BA in acting at the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama.
8. Within two weeks of his graduate showcase, in early 2015, Alwyn was cast in the lead role of Ang Lee’s 2016 war drama, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, based on Ben Fountain’s novel.
9. In 2017, he had a supporting role in the English drama film The Sense of an Ending.
10. In 2018, he appeared in the period drama films Operation Finale, The Favorite, Boy Erased, and Mary Queen of Scots.
11. Since 2016, Alwyn has been dating American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift.
12. According to People, he is “family oriented”: He developed a love of acting by watching movies and plays with his parents in his hometown of Crouch End, London.
13. He has an iPod. “I still use my iPod all the time,” he told Vanity Fair last year.
14. He has blue eyes.
15. He did not vote in the 2016 presidential election in the United States.
16. A source tells the Sun, “Taylor and Joe are the real deal, this is a very serious relationship.”
17. According to IMDB, Alwyn surprised someone on the set of that first movie he was in. “His American accent in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (2016) was so convincing that his co-star Steve Martin had no idea he was from England until a few weeks into production,” the website claims.
18. Alwyn is friends with Aaron Paul.
19. According to People, he is “family oriented”: He developed a love of acting by watching movies and plays with his parents in his hometown of Crouch End, London.
20. He still lives with his parents.