Waldport is a city in Lincoln County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 15 interesting and fun facts about Waldport, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 2,033 at the 2010 census.
2. The city is located on the Alsea River and Alsea Bay, 15 miles (24 km) south of Newport and 8 miles (13 km) north of Yachats.
3. Camp Angel, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp near Waldport, was home to World War II conscientious objectors involved in the arts.
4. In September 1975, Marshall Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles gave a lecture in Waldport on UFOs which was attended by roughly 150 people.
5. In the following days, an estimated 20 residents, nearly one out of 30 people who lived in the town, abandoned their homes and possessions and joined their group, Heaven’s Gate.
6. An Oregon State Police investigation concluded that no laws had been broken.
7. In December 2001, Christian Longo murdered his wife and 3 children in Waldport.
8. Longo disposed of their bodies by chaining them to heavy cinder blocks, and submerging them in the Pacific Ocean.
9. At the time, it was said to be the city’s first known homicide.
10. Longo was sentenced to death in 2003.
11. The 2015 film True Story, starring Jonah Hill and James Franco was loosely based on the case.
12. On February 22, 2009, Mayor Herman Welch announced that he was leaving the Republican Party. Upon re-registering as a member of the Independent Party of Oregon, he became the first public official in Oregon to be a member of that party.
13. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.02 square miles (7.82 km2), of which, 2.77 square miles (7.17 km2) is land and 0.25 square miles (0.65 km2) is water.
14. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and semi-dry summers with some rainy days, with no average monthly temperatures above 70.4 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Waldport has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
15. There are cool winters during which intense rainfall occurs. It has warm, dry summers with partly overcast and moderate rainfall through the summer months.