Scappoose is a city in Columbia County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 15 great and awesome facts about Scappoose, Oregon, United States.
1. It was named for a nearby stream, which drains the southern part of the county.
2. The name “Scappoose” is of Native American origin, and is said to mean “gravelly plain.”
3. The population was 6,592 at the 2010 census.
4. The Mayor is elected for a two-year term and is chair of the City Council.
5. The City Manager supervisions and general management of all City operations and ensures that Council policy is carried out and that laws and municipal code are in compliance.
6. The City Council consists of a mayor and six councilors elected from the City at large who are residents of the City.
7. Three Councilors each are elected for four year terms every two years. The Council sets policy and retains legislative authority. Meetings are usually held on the first and third Monday of every month.
8. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.75 square miles (7.12 km2), all of it land.
9. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Scappoose has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
10. In recent years, Scappoose has increasingly become a “bedroom” community of Portland, Oregon, with many commuting to jobs in the city.
11. Dairies, farming, and logging played an important role in the early years of Scappoose’s history. In the more recent past, several factories existed in the community and provided jobs.
12. The town was home to a shoe factory, two candle factories, and a Steinfeld’s Sauerkraut factory.
13. The area still has gravel mines and the West Coast Shoe factory.
14. Scappoose is also the home of Oregon Aero, Inc., a supplier of aeronautic seats and helmets.
15. On April 6, 2009, the Scappoose City Council voted to significantly reduce development fees in an effort in encourage new industrial and commercial development. Also, the council waived business license fees for Scappoose-based businesses in 2010.