Brier is a city in Snohomish County, Washington, United States. It is bordered by Mountlake Terrace to the west, Lynnwood to the north, Bothell to the east, and Lake Forest Park to the south. Take a look below for 15 fun and awesome facts about Brier, Washington, United States.
1. The population was 6,087 at the 2010 census.
2. The first homestead settlers in the Brier area arrived in 1883 and were followed by loggers who had cleared most of the forestland by 1915.
3. The area was known for its mink farms and later gave way to suburban ranch houses in the 1950s and 1960s.
4. Brier was named for an existing road that bisected the subdivision where the community was developed in the 1950s.
5. It was officially incorporated as a city on February 11, 1965, after an emergency vote following a proposal from a developer to annex the area into neighboring Mountlake Terrace.
6. The area was gradually developed into a suburban community, growing to over 6,000 people by 1999.
7. Since its incorporation, several elected officials in Brier have been recalled or forced to resign over various misconduct allegations and convictions.
8. A permanent city hall opened in April 2005, replacing a leased office.
9. Brier is located 15 miles (24 km) north of Seattle in southern Snohomish County, bordered to the south by Lake Forest Park in King County.
10. The cities of Mountlake Terrace and Bothell lie to the west and east, respectively.
11. The unincorporated area to the north is connected by Brier Road, which continues towards Lynnwood.
12. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.13 square miles (5.52 km2), all of it land.
13. The city has large lot sizes for residential homes, at a minimum of 12,500 square feet (1,160 m2) and is exclusively zoned for single-family homes.
14. Based on per capita income, one of the more reliable measures of affluence, Brier ranks 68th of 522 areas in the state of Washington to be ranked.
15. In the 2004 US presidential election, Brier cast 57.37% of its vote for Democrat John Kerry.