Asotin is the county seat of Asotin County, Washington, United States. The population of the city was 1,251 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Lewiston, ID-WA Metropolitan Statistical Area. Take a look below for 15 fascinating and fun facts about Asotin, Washington, United States.
1. The name Asotin is derived from a Nez Perce language term meaning “eel creek,” founded in 1878 by Alexander Sumpster.
2. A river ferry stop at Asotin was set up by 1881.
3. Asotin is located at 46°20′20″N 117°2′47″W (46.338847, -117.046441).
4. It is a few miles south of Clarkston, on the west bank of the Snake River.
5. The elevation is 801 feet (244 m) above sea level.
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.19 square miles (3.08 km2), of which, 1.05 square miles (2.72 km2) is land and 0.14 square miles (0.36 km2) is water.
7. This region experiences very warm and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C).
8. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Asotin has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
9. As of the census of 2010, there were 1,251 people, 500 households, and 352 families residing in the city.
10. The population density was 1,191.4 inhabitants per square mile (460.0/km2).
11. There were 537 housing units at an average density of 511.4 per square mile (197.5/km2).
12. The racial makeup of the city was 93.5% White, 1.0% African American, 1.5% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 1.0% Pacific Islander, 0.2% from other races, and 2.2% from two or more races.
13. There were 500 households, of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.6% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 29.6% were non-families.
14. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.93.
15. The median age in the city was 41 years. 25.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.8% were from 25 to 44; 27.8% were from 45 to 64; and 17.6% were 65 years of age or older.