Newark is a city in Alameda County, California, United States. Take a look below for 15 amazing and interesting facts about Newark, California, United States.
1. It was incorporated as a city in September 1955. Newark is an enclave, surrounded by the city of Fremont.
2. The three cities of Newark, Fremont, and Union City make up the Tri-City Area.
3. Its population was 47,529 at the 2020 census making it the third largest city in the US named Newark after Newark, New Jersey, and Newark, Ohio.
4. The western edge of the city is near the southern end of the San Francisco Bay. State Route 84 runs through the city, and continues as the Dumbarton Bridge to cross the San Francisco Bay to reach Menlo Park. Interstate 880 serves as the eastern boundary with Fremont.
5. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 13.9 square miles (36 km2), of which 13.9 square miles (36 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.052 km2), comprising 0.17%, is water.
6. Newark was named after Newark Castle, Port Glasgow, in Scotland by J. Barr Robertson.
7. Before it was settled by Europeans, Newark was home to the Ohlone Native American Peoples. The first European settlement in the area was by the Spanish missionaries of Mission San José, whose territory covered much of the present-day cities of Newark, Fremont, and Union City.
8. In 1878 land belonging to Washington Township of Alameda County was purchased by The Pacific Land Investment Company and subdivided to form the town of Newark.
9. Newark was incorporated in September 1955.
10. In the state legislature, Newark is in the 10th Senate District, represented by Democrat Bob Wieckowski, and in the 25th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Alex Lee. Federally, Newark is in California’s 17th congressional district, represented by Democrat Ro Khanna.
11. Newark’s economy is at the edge of Silicon Valley and shares its economic pattern.
12. Cargill Salt, previously known as Leslie Salt, operates a large salt refinery in Newark which cleans solar salt produced in salt evaporation ponds in the San Francisco Bay.
13. Wedgewood manufactured stoves in town from the 1910s until the 1940s. Peterbilt manufactured trucks in Newark from the early 1960s up to the mid-1980s. In 1956 Trailmobile moved its manufacturing and assembly plant from Berkeley to a new 208,000-square-foot (19,300 m2) facility at 6000 Stevenson Boulevard in Newark, adjacent to the Peterbilt truck facility. The Trailmobile plant closed in 1975 and moved to a new facility in Charleston, Illinois.
14. From the mid-1950s through the early 1960s, A.O. Smith Corporation of Kankakee, Illinois, built residential and commercial-grade glass-lined water heaters at a large manufacturing facility located on Sycamore Street. The plant was later acquired by the National Steel Corporation, which continued water heater manufacturing at the plant until the early 1970s.
15. The city houses the NewPark Mall, a super-regional shopping center, with anchor stores Macy’s and Burlington Coat Factory, and over 140 other retailers. A 140,000-square-foot (13,000 m2) addition at NewPark, including restaurants, entertainment and a multiplex movie theater with IMAX, opened in late 2015.