Amethyst Amelia Kelly, known professionally as Iggy Azalea, is an Australian rapper, singer, songwriter, model and music video director. At the age of 16, Azalea moved to the United States to pursue a career in music. She earned public recognition after releasing the viral music videos for her songs “Pussy” and “Two Times” on YouTube. Take a look below for 35 more fun and interesting facts about Iggy Azalea.
1. Azalea was born in Sydney and brought up in Mullumbibmy, New South Wales.
2. Her father, Brendan Kelly, was a European-Australian painter and comic artist, while her mother, Tanya, cleaned holiday houses and hotels.
3. Azalea lived in a house that her father built by hand from mud-bricks, surrounded by 5 hectares (12 acres) of land.
4. According to Azalea, she has some Aboriginal (Indigenous Australian) ancestry: “My family came to Australia on the First Fleet. My family’s been in that country for a long time, over 100 years. If your family’s lived in Australia for a long time, everyone has a little bit of [Aborigine blood]. I know my family does because we have an eye condition that only Aboriginal people have.”
5. Azalea has also said that her father “made her look at [art] as a teenager”, which has always influenced her life and work.
6. She began rapping at age 14.
7. Before embarking on a solo career, Azalea formed a group with two other girls from her neighborhood: “I was like, I could be the rapper. This could be like TLC. I’ll be Left Eye.”
8. Azalea eventually decided to disband the group because the other girls weren’t taking it seriously: “I take everything I do serious [sic]. I’m too competitive.”
9. In pursuit of her desire to move to America, Azalea dropped out of high school.
10. She worked and saved the money she earned by cleaning hotel rooms and holiday houses with her mother.
11. She claims to have hated school, which, apart from art class, only made her miserable.
12. She also said she had no friends and was teased for her homemade outfits.
13. Azalea traveled to the United States in 2006, shortly before she turned 16.
14. She told her parents she was going “on a holiday” with a friend, but eventually decided to stay and shortly afterward told them she was not coming back home: “I was drawn to America because I felt like an outsider in my own country, I was in love with hip hop, and America is the birthplace of that, so I figured the closer I was to the music, the happier I’d be. I was right.”
15. After her arrival in the US, she received her General Educational Development (GED), and resided in the country on a visa waiver for six years, returning to Australia every three months to renew it.
16. Azalea worked in the US illegally until February 2013 when she was granted a five-year O visa.
17. In late 2011, Azalea began dating American rapper A$AP Rocky, whom she met through American record producer Chase N. Cashe.
18. She confirmed that they were dating in a January 2012 interview with Vibe and, around this time, got the title of Rocky’s breakout mixtape Live. Love. A$AP tattooed on her fingers.
19. She claimed she and Rocky both had tattoos dedicated to the relationship but his were not visible.
20. In July 2012, Rocky stated they were no longer dating with Azalea later removing her tattoo after years with the word A$AP crossed.
21. She began a relationship with Los Angeles Lakers basketball player Nick Young in November 2013. Azalea and Young were featured in the March 2014 issue of GQ magazine.
22. They lived together in Tarzana, California.
23. On 1 June 2015, they announced their engagement.
24. On 19 June 2016, Azalea announced that she and Young had split after a video leaked on the internet showing Young bragging about cheating on Azalea.
25. In late 2018, Azalea began dating American rapper Playboi Carti.
26. In March 2015, while talking about her body shape with Vogue, Azalea revealed she had undergone breast augmentation, saying, “I did change something: Four months ago, I got bigger boobs! I’d thought about it my entire life,” adding she was sick of having to sew padding into her stage costumes and wanted to be able to wear lingerie without wiring. After initially resolving never to discuss it publicly as she didn’t want other girls to feel bad about their bodies, she concluded, “But then, I decided I wasn’t into secret-keeping.”
27. In August 2015, she talked about having a nose job with Seventeen magazine, adding, “Your perception of yourself can change a lot over time, so I think it’s important to wait and make sure it’s the right choice. Plastic surgery is an emotional journey. […] There are things that I didn’t like about myself that I changed through surgery. There are other things I dislike but I’ve learned to accept. It’s important to remember you can’t change everything. You can never be perfect.”
28. In March 2018, Azalea was approved for permanent residence in the United States.
29. Azalea was the first female, and first non-American rapper to be featured on XXL’s “Top 10 Freshman List”.
30. In 2014, she received two American Music Awards in the Rap/Hip-Hop categories, along with four more nominations, and one MTV Video Music Award for her collaboration with Ariana Grande, along with seven more nominations, making her the most nominated artist at these respective award show editions.
31. She has also won three Teen Choice Awards and one MTV Europe Music Award.
32. Azalea won the 2014 ARIA Award for Breakthrough Artist and the 2015 People’s Choice Award for Favorite Hip-Hop Artist.
33. In November 2014, she was placed at number-one on the Maxim Hot 100 list in Australia because “few Aussies, female or otherwise, have had a bigger 2014 than Iggy.”
34. In 2015, Azalea also led the 2015 iHeartRadio Music Awards nominations with five.
35. In 2016, Azalea was presented with the Woman of the Year award by GQ Australia.