Princess Zelda is one of the main characters in Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda video game series. She was created by Shigeru Miyamoto and made her first appearance in 1986. The name has applied to various female members of Hyrule’s royal family, which includes several distinct characters in Hyrule legend. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Princess Zelda.
1. Concept art for the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past shows Zelda in futuristic attire. The original Legend of Zelda was planned to be set in both the past and the future. This art could be an indication that Nintendo considered reusing the concept for a Link to the Past.
2. Princess Zelda was named after Zelda Fitzgerald, who was the wife of author F. Scott Fitzgerald.
3. Zelda had different occupations throughout the series. She’s been a princess, a pirate, a ninja, and a childhood friend of Link.
4. Robin Williams was such a big fan of the Legend of Zelda franchise that he named his daughter after Princess Zelda.
5. Zelda frequently plays an important role in final boss battles. On multiple occasions, she has aided Link by holding Ganon back with her magic or striking enemies with powerful light arrows.
6. In The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Zelda had her body stolen and was able to possess and pilot fierce Phantoms using her spirit.
7. In Wind Waker, the young pirate captain Tetra, turns out to have been Zelda all along, which was unbeknownst to even her. In Ocarina of Time, Zelda disguises herself as a boy called Sheik and has her consciousness locked away to prevent Ganondorf from finding her.
8. Link’s Awakening and Tri Force Heroes are the only games where Princess Zelda isn’t included. However, Link mentions her at the beginning of Link’s Awakening and Zelda’s dress appears in Tri Force Heroes.
9. In several games, starting with Ocarina of Time, Zelda either wields the Light Arrows or bestows them on Link, allowing him to defeat Ganon. However, she’s also able to summon a magical bow made from pure light in order to fire the arrows.
10. In Twilight Princess, Zelda carries an ornate rapier, seemingly as a sword of state. When she’s possessed by Ganondorf, she uses it as a weapon against Link.
11. In Hyrule Warriors, the rapier is called the “Polished Rapier,” and is one of the several rapiers that she can use.
12. Just like Link, there are multiple versions of Princess Zelda in the series, who vary in age, appearance and disposition.
13. Zelda generally has blonde or brown hair and blue-grey eyes. She’s mainly depicted as wearing a royal gown and jewelry and is associated with the goddesses Hylia and Nayru, as well as with the Triforce of Wisdom.
14. Most iterations of Zelda also have psionic powers, such as teleportation, telepathy, and precognition. For example, she can cast spells and create or undo barriers and seals. Her alter egos have their own abilities.
15. In Spirit Tracks, Zelda actively adventures with Link in spirit form, which is a sharp contrast to the damsel in distress role that she usually plays in earlier installments of the games.
16. A survey conducted in the United States found that consumers preferred a more independent female character, such as Zelda’s alter egos Sheik, from Ocarina of Time, and Tetra, from The Wind Waker.
17. In the original The Legend of Zelda game, she was kidnapped by Ganon after she divided the Triforce of Wisdom and hides its pieces across the land.
18. The Zelda in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link has been put into an eternal slumber until Link breaks the curse. According to the ingame legend, the elder Zelda has been under a curse for so long that it’s in her honor that the Hylian royal family maintains a tradition of naming all of its princesses after her.
19. In a Link to the Past, Zelda is one of seven maidens that descended from the seven sages during the Imprisoning War.
20. In Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, Zelda senses a danger in the lands of Holodrum and Labrynna and sends her handmaiden Impa to protect Din, the Oracle of Seasons, and Nayru, the Oracle of Ages.
21. In Four Swords, Zelda takes Link to the Four Sword Sanctuary, which seals the evil sorcerer Vaati. She senses that the seal’s power is diminishing and as she tries to inspect it, she’s captured by Vaati himself.
22. In The Minish Cap, she’s turned into stone by Vaati until Link manages to reverse the spell.
23. In the Twilight Princess, Princess Zelda is depicted as the reigning head of state for the first time in the series. However, she’s been usurped by the Twilight King Zant at the beginning of the game.
24. In the Phantom Hourglass, Tetra, who’s really Zelda, is turned to stone and kidnapped by a Ghost Ship during their search.
25. In Spirit Tracks, Zelda is the granddaughter of Tetra since the sequel takes place 100 years after Phantom Hourglass. In this game, she accompanies Link, who’s a railroad engineer, to investigate the disappearance of the railroad tracks called Spirit Tracks that act like chains, locking up an evil force.
26. In Skyward Sword, Zelda isn’t a princess but she is the reincarnation of the goddess Hylia and the direct ancestor of the Hylian Royal Family. She grew up with Link in Skyloft, and has a crush on him.
27. In A Link Between Worlds, she gives her Pendant of Courage to Link when the sorcerer Yuga begins capturing the descendants of the Seven Sages.
28. She’s also featured in 3 CD-i games based on The Legend of Zelda series. In Link: The Faces of Evil, she’s kidnapped by Ganon and has to be rescued. In Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon and Zelda’s Adventure, she’s the protagonist trying to find who kidnapped Link.
29. The adult form of Zelda from Ocarina of Time appears as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Melee. She’s is first shown as Sheik, but then reveals her second form with each form having their own unique moves.
30. In the comics, Zelda’s feelings for Link are made much clearer than the games, but it also shows her sense of duty to the Triforce of Wisdom. For example, when Link is corrupted by the Triforce of Power in one story, while Zelda possesses his Triforce of Courage, she won’t reside with him because he uses Power without Wisdom.