Adam Noah Levine is an American singer-songwriter and actor. He is the lead singer for the pop rock band Maroon 5. Born and raised in Los Angeles, California, Levine began his musical career in 1994, when he co-founded the band Kara’s Flowers, of which he was the lead vocalist and guitarist. Take a look below for 30 more fun and interesting facts about Adam Levine.
1. His first band split up after their only album, “The Fourth World,” didn’t gain popularity.
2. In 2001, the group was reformed, with guitarist James Valentine joining the line up, and began a new musical chapter, changing their name to Maroon 5.
3. In 2002, the band released their first album, “Songs About Jane,” which went multi-platinum in the United States.
4. Since then, they have released five more albums: “It Won’t Be Soon Before Long,” “Hands All Over,” “Overexposed,” “V”, and “Red Pill Blues.”
5. As part of Maroon 5, Levine has received three Grammy Awards, three American Music Awards, an MTV Video Music Award and a World Music Award.
6. From 2011 to 2019, Levine served as a coach on NBC’s reality talent show “The Voice” and won three times with a member of his team.
7. In 2012, Levine made his acting debut as a recurring character in “American Horror Story: Asylum,” for the series’ second season.
8. Levine also starred in the films “Begin Again” and “The Clapper.”
9. As an entrepreneur, Levine launched his own eponymous fragrance line in 2013.
10. That same year, he collaborated with K-Mart and ShopYourWay.com to develop his menswear collection.
11. He owns a record label, 222 Records and a production company 222 Productions.
12. In 2013, The Hollywood Reporter reported that, “sources familiar with his many business dealings,” estimated Levine would earn more than $35 million that year.
13. Levine was born in Los Angeles on March 18, 1979, to Fredric Levine, the founder of retail chain M. Fredric, and Patsy Levine, an admissions counselor.
14. He has a brother Michael, two half siblings, Sam and Liza Levine, and step-sister Julia Bartolf Milne.
15. Levine’s father and maternal grandfather were Jewish, while his maternal grandmother was a Protestant.
16. Levine considers himself Jewish, though according to The Jewish Chronicle, he is spiritual but not religious.
17. He chose not to have a Bar Mitzvah as a child because of the custom of receiving Bar Mitzvah gifts, explaining: “I felt as though a lot of kids were trying to cash in… I just don’t think it’s the most respectful way to deal with God and beliefs and years and years and years of cultural heritage.”
18. Levine is a nephew of journalist and author Timothy Noah, television producer and writer Peter Noah, and economist Jordan Levine.
19. His parents divorced when he was seven years old.
20. Growing up, Levine spent weekdays with his mother and weekends with his father.
21. He underwent therapy for his parents’ divorce, but called it a “waste of time” explaining that his parents couldn’t, “accept the fact that I might have been OK with it. I cried my eyes out and kicked and screamed and said ‘Why?’ and all the things you do when you find out. A few days later I was fine but I still had to go to therapy.”
22. Levine describes his family as “very musical” and credits his mother with “starting me out on the path.”
23. He attributes his mother’s idols, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac and The Beatles, to shaping his musical style, calling them “a huge part of my upbringing.”
24. Levine attended Brentwood School, where he met Jesse Carmichael and Mickey Madden, his future bandmates.
25. He carried his musical interests in high school, where he states he was, “a little rebellious. I didn’t want to do the things they were teaching me… [music] consumed my every thought.”
26. Levine used hallucinogenic drugs in his adolescence. In an interview with Q, he said that using mushrooms, “really forced me to look at myself,” but added that he had never abused drugs.
27. On “Jimmy Kimmel Live!,” he stated that he stopped using prescription drugs after his first experience with prescription drug Ambien, which left him unconscious for an hour.
28. In early 2010, while performing at the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue release party in Las Vegas, Levine met Russian Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover-model Anne Vyalitsyna. They began a relationship which ended in April 2012.
29. Levine began dating Behati Prinsloo, a Namibian Victoria’s Secret model, in May 2012. The couple married on July 19, 2014, with Jonah Hill officiating the wedding.
30. Levine and Prinsloo have two daughters, Dusty Rose and Gio Grace.