Tremaine Aldon Neverson, known professionally as Trey Songz, is an American singer, songwriter, rapper and actor. His debut album, “I Gotta Make It,” was released in 2005 through Atlantic Records. His follow up album, “Trey Day,” spawned his first top 20 single, “Can’t Help But Wait.” Take a look below for 28 more fun and interesting facts about Trey Songz.
1. Songz released his third album “Ready” in 2009 and a single from the album, “Say Aah,” peaked at number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Songz’s first top 10 hit.
2. “Ready” was nominated for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance at the 2008 Grammy Awards.
3. The following year saw Songz’s highest charting song to date, “Bottoms Up,” featuring rapper Nicki Minaj from his fourth studio album, “Passion, Pain & Pleasure.”
4. In 2012, Songz released his first number one album, “Chapter V,” which debuted atop the Billboard 200.
5. The album’s lead single titled “Heart Attack” was nominated for Best R&B Song at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
6. Following that, Songz released his sixth studio album, “Trigga,” in 2014, promoted by the top 40 songs, “Na Na” and “Slow Motion.”
7. He has sold over 25 million records worldwide in singles and albums.
8. He was born on November 28, 1984, in Petersburg, Virginia.
9. He is the son of April Tucker, who was 17 when he was born, and Claude Neverson Jr.
10. Raised as a military brat by his mother and stepfather, Songz didn’t have aspirations for a musical career as a child due to his shyness, saying, “Singing wasn’t a reality for me, until other people started noticing I sounded good.”
11. He recognized his vocal abilities at the age of 14.
12. Reluctant to sing, he began performing with encouragement by his friends and family.
13. Record producer Troy Taylor discovered Songz during a talent show, which led him to sign a recording contract with Atlantic Records in November, 2000.
14. While recording his debut album “Gotta Make It” in 2004, Songz released multiple mixtapes as Prince Of Virginia.
15. The most notorious song off one of the mixtapes was “Open The Closet”, a response to R. Kelly’s “Trapped In The Closet.” The single helped get Songz on the map.
16. He got his name from producers labeling his demos as “Trey’s Songs.”
17. After finding only moderate success with his first two albums, Songz had a bigger plan for the third: “Ready is a more commercial album. It’s more an album that was strategically done for trying to attain a spot for myself. I didn’t have my place in the game before Ready… It was strategic from the single placement to the songs I sang. I probably wouldn’t record some of those songs had I not needed relevant radio play.”
18. To date, Songz has made a guest appearance on over 75 songs.
19. In 2010, Songz founded the foundation Angels With Heart. He uses it to call upon fans, who he refers to as “Trey’s Angels,” to give back random acts of kindness by donating their times and efforts to support local communities.
20. Songz has appeared on 10 songs with Drake.
21. He has been nominated for three Grammy’s between 2008 and 2013, but he never won one.
22. He starred in three movies.
23. His first movie was in 2010, called “Preacher’s Kid.” In the second movie, he appeared alongside Christina Milian and Paula Patton in the 103 film “Baggage Claim.” He also appeared in “Texas Chainsaw 3D.”
24. Songz’ biggest musical influence is D’Angelo.
25. At the age of 17, he dropped out of school early and began training to be a barber. The singer recalled friends lining up at his house before prom to get their hair done.
26. He has a tattoo dedicated to two special women.
27. In December 2016, Songz was arrested and charged with aggravated assault, and assaulting a police officer causing injury, following a performance at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. The singer is alleged to have, “began throwing objects after the venue cut his concert short due to an 11:30PM curfew” and to have “struck an officer with his fist.”
28. On August 18, 2017, Songz plead guilty and was sentenced to 18 months of probation, and will be required to complete anger management classes and pay restitution for the incident.