Shuckle is a dual type Bug and Rock Pokemon introduced in Generation II. It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokemon. Take a look below for 27 fun and interesting facts about Shuckle.
1. Shuckle is a Pokemon that resembles a small turtle.
2. Its body is yellow and appears soft.
3. Until they are in use, Shuckle’s limbs appear limp.
4. It is encased in a very hard red shell that has many holes in it.
5. The holes in its shell are rimmed with white.
6. Rather than actively hunting and foraging for food like most other Pokémon, it collects Berries and stores them in its shell.
7. The Berries inside are liquefied and fermented while they decompose by Shuckle’s digestive juices, which it then consumes.
8. Its digestive juices are also used to dissolve rocks so Shuckle can hide under them.
9. It can be found in the mountains.
10. Shuckle has the lowest base HP stat of all Rock-type Pokémon, with only two other Pokémon having lower base HP.
11. Shuckle has the lowest base Attack stat of all Bug- and Rock-type Pokémon, with two other Pokémon tied for a lower base Attack.
12. Shuckle has the highest base Defense and Special Defense stats of all Bug- and Rock-type Pokémon.
13. Shuckle has the lowest base Special Attack stat of all Pokémon, tied with Feebas, Bonsly, and Alolan Sandshrew.
14. Shuckle has the lowest base Speed stat of all Pokémon, tied with Munchlax and Pyukumuku.
15. By using Power Trick, Shuckle can temporarily reach a base Attack stat of 230, which would be the highest of all Pokémon.
16. Despite being weak to Water-type moves and being unable to use the move Surf, it appears in the sea in Pal Park.
17. In Generation II, the first Shuckle holding a Berry in the player’s party has a 1/16 chance to turn it into a Berry Juice after each battle.
18. According to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Shuckle was designed by Shigeki Morimoto.
19. Shuckle seems to be based on an endolith, an organism that lives inside porous rocks or animal shells – in particular, given its category, the Mold Pokémon, Shuckle may be based on a fungus or mold variety of endolith. Its shell, Bug type, and some of its names suggest it is also based on barnacles.
20. It may also be inspired on scale insects—small, shelled parasites that produce a sweet fluid called honeydew that attracts other insects. It could also be seen as a reference to food fermentation process, with its Rock type alluding to the pottery used to store and ferment aliments in some cultures, and its Pokémon category referring to some fungi used in cultured foods.
21. Shuckle may also have been based on certain varieties of mollusk, as it shares some characteristics with them, including the shell, the muscular but limp-seeming feet, the use of acids to receive food or to break down obstacles, the liking for fermented foods, and living close to the water. It also seems be based on turtles or tortoises appearance-wise. Its worm-like aspect may also take inspiration from a nematode.
22. Shuckle may be a combination of shuck (a husk or pod) and barnacle or turtle.
23. Multiple Shuckle made their main series debut in A Better Pill to Swallow, where an old man was using the Berry Juice that they make to create medicine. One of the Shuckle that he befriended was a purple Shuckle whose Berry Juice attracted Pokémon to anyone who drank it. Because of this, Team Rocket made it their mission to steal it.
24. A Shuckle appeared in Sleight of Sand!, under the ownership of Butch. It joined in during the motto before being used in a battle against James’s Carnivine. In the midst of their battle, Shuckle was taken out by Ash’s Pikachu and a wild Hippopotas.
25. A Shuckle appeared in Double-Time Battle Training!, under the ownership of Rebecca. It battled Zoey’s Glameow in the finals of the Brussel Contest and lost to its Shadow Claw and Iron Tail despite being seemingly powerful.
26. A Shuckle appeared in Working on a Right Move!, under the ownership of Conway. He used it in his battle against Ash. Shuckle proved hard to beat against Noctowl and Donphan, but it was eventually defeated thanks to Gible mastering Draco Meteor.
27. Shuckle debuted in Pikachu & Pichu as a resident of Big Town.