John Albert Gardner III is an American convicted double murderer and sex offender. He confessed to the February, 2009, rape and murder of 14 year old Amber Dubois from Escondido, California, and the February, 2010, rape and murder of 17 year old Chelsea King from Poway, California, after he entered a plea agreement that spared him from the death penalty. Take a look below for 26 more scary and bizarre facts about John Albert Gardner.
1. Gardner attempted to rape Candice Moncayo of San Diego County, and had been previously incarcerated for the molestation of a 13 year old girl.
2. Gardner was born in Culver City, California.
3. His parents divorced and Gardner frequently relocated around Southern California as a child, including Palmdale, California, and lived in Running Springs, California, as a teenager.
4. His mother, Cathy Osborn, was a psychiatric nurse and Gardner was put on psychiatric medication starting at the age of 6.
5. He was held in a psychiatric hospital for 60 days at the age of 10.
6. As a student, Gardner was labeled “seriously emotionally disturbed.”
7. He graduated from Rim of the World High School in Lake Arrowhead, California, in 1997 with a 3.2 grade point average and IQ of 113.
8. He was also diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He later said that his father was an alcoholic who beat him.
9. While in high school, Gardner worked off jobs including as a lifeguard at a resort in Lake Arrowhead.
10. As a teenager, he was convicted of trespassing at a high school. After graduating high school, Gardner moved to San Diego and worked at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store.
11. Gardner had been convicted in 2000 of molesting a 13 year old female neighbor. He spent five years in prison and completed his parole in 2008, although it was determined that he had violated the terms of his parole seven times, including living too close to a school in 2007.
12. Gardner was also investigated by his parole officer for possession of marijuana, though this incident was later dismissed.
13. Gardner was also being tracked by a GPS anklet up until four months before the murder of Amber Dubois.
14. He totaled 168 parole violations while wearing the anklet.
15. According to GPS data, Gardner spent time in close proximity to several schools, in front of a daycare center, or prison grounds, where he was suspected of delivering contraband to a prisoner, and in remote locations where the remains of Amber Dubois would later be discovered.
16. Gardner’s first murder victim was 14 year old Amber Dubois, who disappeared in February, 2009. Here skeletal remains were later recovered by police in March, 2010, after the police had questioned Gardner about her murder.
17. Gardner had been arrested on February 28, 2010, in the Del Dios district of Escondido, California, when his DNA matched a DNA sample taken from the discarded clothing of Chelsea King, a senior from nearby Poway High School.
18. DNA evidence from King’s clothing, along with a December, 2009, attempted attack on a female jogger who managed to fight him off, led Escondido and San Diego police to patrol the area for a man fitting Gardner’s description.
19. He was arrested on February 28 at a bar and restaurant in Del Dios, at the western shore of Lake Hodges in Escondido.
20. A witness had indicated that Gardner returned to the park subsequent to King’s disappearance.
21. On April 16, 2010, Gardner plead guilty to the murder and rape of both Dubois and King in 2010, after the prosecutors agreed not to seek the death penalty.
22. He admitted to kidnapping, raping, and stabbing Dubois. He also admitted dragging King to a remote area where he raped and strangled her, and then buried the body.
23. Gardner also admitted and plead guilty to attempting to rape Candice Moncayo in December, 2009, who was able to fight back and escape.
24. Sentencing was set for June 1, 2010, although it took place on May 14, where Gardner was sentenced to two terms of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
25. On May 14, 2010, Judge David Danielsen sentenced Gardner to life imprisonment with no possibility of parole, two terms of life imprisonment without parole for the murder and rape of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois, another term of 25 years to life for assault with attempt to commit a rape, and an addition 24 years of imprisonment for prior convictions.
26. Gardner is currently incarcerated at Mule Creek State Prison.