Sandshrew is a Ground type Pokemon introduced in Generation I. It evolves into Sandslash starting at level 22. In Alola, Sandshrew has a regional variant that is Ice and Steel. It evolves into Alolan Sandslash when exposed to an Ice Stone. Take a look below for 25 fun and interesting facts about Sandshrew.
1. Sandshrew is a bipedal mammalian Pokemon, but runs on all fours in the anime.
2. Its brick-patterned yellow hide is dry, tough, blends in with desert sand, and protects its soft white underbelly and muzzle.
3. Sandshrew has blue, almond-shaped eyes, a pointed snout, and triangular ears with white insides.
4. Its tail is thick and conical.
5. It has two long claws on each foot and three sharp claws on its forepaws, which are used to burrow.
6. Sandshrew spends much of its time hidden underground in deep burrows.
7. It only emerges to lunge and drag in passing Bug-type Pokémon.
8. Sandshrew can quickly curl into a tight ball to protect itself from great falls and opponents, but may also throw sand at attackers.
9. While its body can efficiently absorb water to facilitate life in the desert, Sandshrew has been found in caves as well.
10. If it is too wet, its skin becomes wrinkly.
11. It dries itself out by using the geothermal heat near a volcano.
12. In the Alola region, Sandshrew migrated to snowy mountains due to the volcanic activity near the desert areas. Its body is a light, icy blue and with a cream-colored belly and muzzle. Thicker plates form a dome around its head and its ears resemble an igloo’s entrances.
13. In adapting to this cold climate, its body became larger and heavier with a shell of ice covering its hide.
14. This steel-like covering grants it extra defense, but it is unable to curl into a ball like its desert counterpart.
15. Predators, such as Weavile, exploit of its soft underbelly.
16. Alolan Sandshrew’s claws allow it to move without slipping on icy surfaces, but it slides on its stomach when it needs to move quickly.
17. No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Alolan Sandshrew and its Alolan evolution.
18. Sandshrew and its evolution share their category name with Rattata, Raticate, Pikachu, and Raichu. They are all known as the Mouse Pokémon, though Rattata and Raticate have also been called the Rat Pokémon.
19. Alolan Sandshrew is the first Steel-type Pokémon in National Pokédex order.
20. Alolan Sandshrew has the lowest base Special Attack stat of any Pokémon, tied with Shuckle, Feebas and Bonsly.
21. Sandshrew has the lowest base Special Attack stat of all Ground-type Pokémon.
22. Both Sandshrew and Alolan Sandshrew have Abilities that boost evasion in certain weather (Sandstorm for Sandshrew and Hail for Alolan Sandshrew) and Hidden Abilities that boost Speed in those same weather conditions.
23. Alolan Sandshrew can be seen as a parallel to Alolan Vulpix. Both were initially introduced in Generation I and got Alola Forms in Pokémon Sun and Moon. Both Pokémon are Ice-type with Vulpix being exclusive to Sun and Sandshrew being exclusive to Moon. Furthermore, both Pokémon evolve when exposed to an Ice Stone.
24. Alolan Sandshrew, Clefable, Latias, Gurdurr, Greninja, Ash-Greninja, and Minior (Meteor Form) are all the same weight as Ethan.
25. Sandshrew may be based on the armadillo, a mammal that curls up into a ball, has sharp claws, and lives in desert regions. Both Sandshrew and Sandslash are mentioned to have poisonous claws, similar to how some species of the shrew are poisonous. Sandshrew also closely resembles a pangolin.