Catherine Elizabeth “Cat” Deeley is an English television presenter, actress, singer and model based in the U.K. and the United States. From 1998 to 2002, she hosted the children’s program “SMTV Live” and its spin-off chart show CD:UK. Take a look below for 25 more fun and interesting facts about Cat Deeley.
1. In 2001, she won a BAFTA Children’s Award for hosting “SMTV Live.”
2. She has also hosted “Fame Academy” on the BBC, and the 2004 Brit Awards.
3. Deeley became the presenter of “Stars In Their Eyes” from 2003 to 2006, taking over from Matthew Kelly.
4. Since 2006, Deeley has been the host of “So You Think You Can Dance” in the United States, for which she has been nominated five times for a Primetime Emmy.
5. Since 2003, Deeley has been a patron of London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital for sick children.
6. In December 2009, she was made a UNICEF UK ambassador.
7. She is married to Northern Irish comedian and television personality Patrick Kielty.
8. Deeley was born at Sandwell General Hospital, West Bromwich, England and grew up in Sutton Coldfield and Great Barr.
9. She attended Grove Vale Junior School followed by Dartmouth High School in Great Barr, where she played the clarinet in the Sandwell Youth Concert Band.
10. She then joined the sixth form at Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School in Sutton Coldfield.
11. At age 14, Deeley entered a regional edition of a BBC competition for “The Clothes Show,” in which she reached the national finals.
12. She was signed as a model under her nickname of Cat to make it easier for clients to re-book her.
13. Deeley became a full-time fashion model.
14. She left full-time modelling in 1997, following changes in her contract with Storm.
15. In 2001, she won a Children’s BAFTA award and appeared in an episode of the BBC’s “Happiness.”
16. In 2006, she began hosting the second season of American reality show “So You Think You Can Dance,” replacing newsreader Lauren Sánchez, who was pregnant.
17. On July 1, 2007, Deeley was one of many presenters at the Concert for Diana, a tribute concert to the late Princess Diana, with proceeds from the concert going to Diana’s charities, as well as to charities of which her sons Prince William and Harry are patrons.
18. On 9 January 2011, Deeley made a small guest appearance in the Disney Channel sitcom “Shake It Up,” where she portrayed a vice principal who is, in secret, a dancer or a host.
19. Since 2003, Deeley has been a patron of London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital.
20. She is also an active supporter of UNICEF. In 2007, she took part in a UNICEF benefit show in Los Angeles during which magician David Copperfield sawed her in half using his antique Buzz Saw illusion.
21. In 2008, she visited a number of UNICEF projects in the Philippines, including their Soccer Aid 2 project in Manila. In December 2009, she was made a UNICEF UK ambassador.
22. Deeley describes her religious affiliation as Anglican, although she was not christened.
23. Between 2001 and 2006, Deeley dated businessman Mark Whelan.
24. Deeley married comedian and television presenter Patrick Kielty on 30 September 2012 in Rome. On 4 September 2015, the couple stated that they were expecting their first child.
25. On 19 January 2016, they announced the birth of their son, Milo. On 22 June 2018, they announced the birth of their second son, James Patrick.