Ian Joseph Somerhalder is an American actor, model, activist and director. He is known for playing Boone Carlyle in the TV drama Lost and Damon Salvatore in The CW’s supernatural drama The Vampire Diaries. Take a look below for 25 more fun and fascinating facts about Ian Somerhalder.
1. Somerhalder was born and raised in Covington, Louisiana, the son of Edna, a massage therapist, and Robert Somerhalder, an independent building contractor.
2. He is the second of three children, with an older brother, Robert, and younger sister, Robyn.
3. He attended Mandeville High School, a public school in Mandeville, Louisiana.
4. He embarked on a modeling career from age 10 to 13, and by the age of 17 he decided to go into acting.
5. In the summer of 2000, Somerhalder starred in the short-lived WB series Young Americans, a spin-off of Dawson’s Creek.
6. In 2002, Somerhalder played bisexual character Paul Denton in Roger Avary’s adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis’ novel, The Rules of Attraction, alongside James Van Der Beek, Shannyn Sossamon, and Jessica Biel.
7. In 2004, Somerhalder scored his breakthrough role when he played Boone Carlyle in the hit TV show Lost. Despite his character’s death in the twentieth episode of the first season, Somerhalder returned to the role of Boone for seven more episodes between 2005 and 2010, including the series finale.
8. Somerhalder was one of the first actors to be cast in a role for the series and the first major character to die.
9. In 2009, Somerhalder appeared in the movie The Tournament where he played the role of an assassin participating in a lethal competition with other assassins.
10. He appears in the coffee table book About Face by celebrity photographer John Russo.
11. In June 2009, Somerhalder was cast in the role of Vampire Damon Salvatore as a series regular in The CW television drama series The Vampire Diaries.
12. The series has continued to be the highest rated series on its channel with both Somerhalder’s performance and the show receiving a positive response from critics.
13. Somerhalder began directing The Vampire Diaries in its third season and produced the series at the start of season 8.
14. Somerhalder has received several Teen Choice Award’s and a People’s Choice Award for his participation on the series.
15. In October 2012 Somerhalder was cast in the film Time Framed, which had begun filming in Los Angeles.
16. In April 2018, Somerhalder was cast in the role of Dr. Luther Swann as a series regular in Netflix Vampire drama series V-Wars.
17. As of April 2018, Ian Somerhalder was cast in the role of Dr. Luther Swann in the film V-Wars.
18. Somerhalder was involved in the cleanup after the Deepwater Horizon oil drilling disaster on April 22, 2010. His efforts included cleaning of oiled wildlife and taping public service announcements to let the public know how they could help.
19. Somerhalder also supports the St. Tammany Humane Society, an organization for animal shelter and welfare.
20. Somerhalder dated his The Vampire Diaries co-star Nina Dobrev from 2010 to 2013.
21. In mid-2014, Somerhalder began dating actress Nikki Reed.
22. They confirmed their engagement in February 2015 and married on April 26, 2015, in Malibu, California.
23. Their daughter, Bodhi Soleil was born on July 25, 2017.
24. On December 8, 2010, Somerhalder’s 32nd birthday, he launched the “Ian Somerhalder Foundation” which he hopes will educate people on the importance of protecting the environment and animals: “Instead of gifts this year, my birthday wish is that we come together and raise funds to support projects that protect our habitat and nurture our furry friends.
25. Somerhalder is also a celebrity campaigner for RYOT, a Los Angeles-based media company known for RYOT.org, its cause-based, take action online news source.