The world is changing all around us, so isn’t it time you learned just what’s going on out there? Take a look below for 18 shocking and bizarre facts about climate change.
1. Global warming is included under climate change which also encompasses all the broader changes we’re seeing.
2. Shifts in the times flowers bloom are being seen at an increasing rate around the world.
3. Scientists believe human activity is the main cause of climate change.
4. The greenhouse effect is the way in which the atmosphere traps heat in due to the presence of gases that have resulted due to human activity.
5. It’s predicted that most of the ice in the world will be gone by as early as 2100.
6. Current warming is thought to be 10 times faster than post-ice age warming.
7. 2060 is expected to be the year in which the cost of climate change reaches a staggering $44 trillion.
8. 14 extreme climate events costing more than $1 billion each occurred in 2018 alone.
9. CO2 concentration is at its highest level for 3 million years.
10. Malaria, diarrhoea and exhaustion are expected to cause an extra 250,000 preventable deaths between 2030 and 2050 as a result of climate change.
11. By 2040 25% of the world’s population will have limited or infrequent access to water sources.
12. Industrialised countries produce 80% of global carbon emissions with the whole of Africa accounting for just 4%.
13. Sea levels are set to rise by a shocking 23 inches by the year 2100! These rising sea levels will affect people living in low lying countries such as The Maldives, Tuvalu, Bangladesh and theoretically the Netherlands – threatening 200 million people!
14. The last two decades of the previous century were the hottest for more than 400 years.
15. The average temperature in Russia is increasing at twice the global average rate.
16. 125 of the 150 glaciers in the Montana National Park have melted away to nothing since 1910.
17. The 7 inch rise in sea levels in the last century was more than the previous 2,000 years combined!
18. If ocean currents continue to be distorted and disrupted this could cause a mini ice age right across Europe.