The heart is one of the most essential organs in your body, providing organs with the vital nutrients they require. As your heart pumps away faithfully, you may not have a second thought about it. Take a look below for 18 interesting and awesome facts about the heart.
1. Depending on the music you listen to, your heartbeat can change.
2. It takes approximately 45 seconds on average for your blood to travel all the way around the body from your heart.
3. An average man’s heart beats at an estimated 70 times a minute.
4. An average woman’s heart beats a little faster, at an estimated 78 times a minute.
5. One of the greatest health threats in the world is heart disease.
6. The electrical activity of the heart is affected by drug use (particularly by cocaine).
7. Smaller than a human hair, some of the capillaries in your heart are tiny!
8. The saying “Sneezing stops the heart” is a myth.
9. Heart disease risk is reduced by eating dark chocolate.
10. The heart of a blue whale weighs a staggering 1,500 pounds and is the size of a double-decker bus!
11. People can literally have broken hearts. Temporary heart failure can arise from tragic life situations.
12. The size of your heart is approximately the size of both your hands clasped together.
13. 1.5 gallons of blood is pumped around by your heart each minute.
14. With the exception of corneas, every other cell in your body receives blood from the heart.
15. Certain individuals have bigger hearts than others, which is indicative of underlying heart disease.
16. A truck could be driven 20 miles with the energy created by your heart every single day.
17. According to a study, vegetarians are 32% less likely to die or be admitted to hospital due to heart disease than non-vegetarians.
18. As the heart stops dividing quite early in life, heart cancer is very rare.