Love it or hate it, Star Wars is a movie franchise that’s grown beyond its humble origins. The original space opera has amassed billions of dollars over the years, thanks not only to ticket sales but also merchandising, toys, TV shows and more. There is clearly something about this saga that speaks to the wider populace. Take a look below for 17 amazing and fun facts about Star Wars.
1. You’ll hear the phrase “I have a bad feeling about this” – or a variant – used in every single Star Wars movie.
2. Yoda was voiced by Frank Oz, one of the main players behind The Muppets, and famously the voice of Fozzie Bear and Miss Piggy.
3. There is an ET-Star Wars crossover in The Phantom Menace. During a scene in the intergalactic senate, you can see representatives from ET’s home planet, Brodo Asogi.
4. Jabba The Hutt, the infamous gangster and colossal blob from Return of The Jedi, needed at least seven puppeteers to animate him.
5. Ever thought that Qui-Gon Jinn’s communication link looked sharp? That’s because it’s based on a cast of a Gillette razor!
6. In fact, they had to rebuild part of the film set thanks to Liam Neeson’s height. This cost around $150,000 to account for!
7. Han Solo could’ve been played very differently, as Sylvester Stallone auditioned for the part.
8. The role didn’t really pay that handsomely first time around! Harrison Ford received a relatively paltry $10,000 for his part in ‘A New Hope‘!
9. Harrison Ford was actually only hired initially to feed lines to prospective Solos. Director George Lucas, however, thought Ford gave the best performance out of anyone at the auditions!
10. Remember the Ewoks from Return of The Jedi? No one – at any time – mentions the species by name on screen. That’s pervasive marketing!
11. George Lucas was keen on varying the original cast of A New Hope as much as possible. At one stage, he considered only hiring Japanese actors to play the roles.
12. Chewbacca’s iconic voice is a combination of various animals. For example, sound engineers used clips of lions, bears and more.
13. Lucas toyed with the idea of killing Han Solo at the end of Return of The Jedi. However, he actually changed his mind, worrying that toy sales would be negatively impacted as a result! It’s safe to say that much of the Star Wars fortune has been built up thanks to merchandise.
14. George Lucas also supposedly wanted a monkey in a mask to play Yoda initially. Thankfully, minds were apparently changed along the way!
15. Lucas, in fact, didn’t even attend the original premiere of Star Wars in 1977. He was on holiday with fellow director Steven Spielberg!
16. Darth Vader might be an iconic villain, but he’s only on screen for around 12 minutes in ‘A New Hope‘!
17. No one – not even characters in the Star Wars universe – know what Yoda’s species actually is. With the reveal of ‘The Child’ in TV series The Mandalorian, it seems he’s not alone in the universe.