We all think we know what an IQ means, but do we really understand it? Does the number tell us more about ourselves other than just how bright we are (or wish we were)? Take a look below for 16 fun and interesting facts about IQ.
1. IQ is an abbreviation. It stands for intelligence quotient.
2. Breastfeeding can boost a child’s IQ by as much as 8 points.
3. There’s a strong correlation between suicidal thoughts and low IQ.
4. Birth order has no impact on IQ, despite the urban myths we’ve all heard about!
5. Scientists are split on whether head size impacts IQ.
6. There are small differences between average male and female scores.
7. Men do better with spatial awareness tests.
8. Whereas women score more highly in language development questions.
9. Studies show high IQ is correlated with higher confidence levels.
10. Half of all people are grouped in the 90-110 range.
11. Scores of 160 or over are recognised as genius level.
12. Kim Ung-Yong’s IQ of 210 is the highest ever recorded.
13. There are concerns that cultural bias inherent in current tests skews the results.
14. IQ tests were originally introduced as a medical diagnostic tool.
15. The U.S. military uses them to help assign recruits to the correct roles when they apply.
16. 80% of IQ is genetic — scientists think the rest can be learned.