Paramount is a city in Los Angeles County, California, United States. Take a look below for 15 interesting and awesome facts about Paramount, California, United States.
1. According to the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 54,098, down from 55,266 at the 2000 census.
2. Paramount is part of the Greater Los Angeles Area and is bordered by Compton and Lynwood to the west, South Gate and Downey to the north, Bellflower to the east and south, and Long Beach to the south.
3. According to the United States Census Bureau, Paramount has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which 4.7 square miles (12 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (2.28%) is water.
4. The city today known as Paramount was originally identified in 1781 by Mexican settlers of New Spain. It was organized under two old Spanish Ranchos; on the west, Rancho San Pedro, and on the east, Rancho Los Nietos (now portions of the cities of Santa Fe Springs and Whittier).
5. These ranchos were established under the Spanish Empire and granted by King Carlos III in 1784. In 1834, Rancho Los Nietos was partitioned into five smaller ranchos including Rancho Los Cerritos and Rancho Los Alamitos, which both encompassed parts of Paramount.
6. After the Mexican–American War California was ceded to the United States. The then-unincorporated community of Paramount was created in 1948 when the United States Postmaster General ordered the merger of the post offices of Hynes and Clearwater (Pitt 1997:381).
7. The name was taken from Paramount Boulevard, the main north-to-south surface street extending through the city.
8. The city officially incorporated January 30, 1957 following a successful “Save Paramount for Paramount” campaign to fight annexation by Long Beach, Bellflower, and South Gate.
9. While the Paramount economy was based largely on the hay and dairy industries, the high cost of land led to their local demise. The last Paramount dairy closed in 1977.
10. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department operates the Lakewood Station in Lakewood, serving Paramount.
11. Fire protection in Paramount is provided by the Los Angeles County Fire Department, with ground ambulance transport provided by McCormick Ambulance Service.
12. The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services operates the South Health Center in Watts, Los Angeles, serving Paramount.
13. The United States Postal Service Paramount Beach Post Office is located at 7200 Somerset Boulevard.
14. In the California State Legislature, Paramount is in the 33rd Senate District, represented by Democrat Lena Gonzalez, and in the 63rd Assembly District, represented by Democrat Anthony Rendon.
15. In the United States House of Representatives, Paramount is in California’s 40th congressional district, represented by Democrat Lucille Roybal-Allard.