Eagle Point is a city in Jackson County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 15 fascinating and fun facts about Eagle Point, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 8,469 at the 2010 census, up from 4,798 at the 2000 census. As of 2018, the estimated population was 9,408.
2. In the mid-19th century, a rocky cliff near the location of what later became Eagle Point was a favored nesting place for eagles.
3. An area resident, John Mathews, is said to have suggested “Eagle Point” as the name for a proposed post office in the community.
4. The post office was established in 1872; Andrew McNeil was the first postmaster.
5. A water-powered gristmill, Butte Creek Mill, has operated in Eagle Point for more than 125 years. Built in 1872 along Little Butte Creek, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
6. The mill burned to the ground Christmas Day 2015.
7. The Butte Creek Mill has been rebuilt, with the first batch of grain being sold in December, 2020. on May 15, 2016, Actor Jim Belushi performed at an outdoor benefit concert for the Butte Creek Mill.
8. In 2018, Actor Patrick Duffy, a longtime Eagle Point resident signed on as the Advisory Director for the Butte Creek Mill Foundation in an effort to rebuild the Butte Creek Mill.
9. He joins actor Jim Belushi who has been a supporter since the mill burned.
10. In 2018 Eagle Point Police Department Officer Daniel Cardenas shot and killed Matthew Graves. According to attorneys Kelly L. Anderson and David Linthorst, the “arrest” of Graves on mere suspicion alone is not grounds to detain him. “After making an unlawful arrest,” attorneys said, “Cardenas compounded the problem by using excessive force. In doing so, Cardenas himself created the very crisis for which he later claimed to have needed to use deadly force.”.
11. Cardenas also made multiple discrepancies during his Grand Jury testimony which went against his protest of innocence. The City had to pay 4.5 Million Dollars for wrongful death.
12. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.96 square miles (7.67 km2), all of it land.
13. This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Eagle Point has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
14. Of the 3,231 households 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.9% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 26.6% were non-families. 20.9% of households were one person and 9.7% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.01.
15. The median age was 36.9 years. 27.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.2% were from 25 to 44; 25.5% were from 45 to 64; and 14.2% were 65 or older. The gender makeup of the city was 48.1% male and 51.9% female.