Heard about Diabetes Type 1 but unsure what it means? Trust us, you won’t be the only one. Take a look below for 15 facts you need to know about type 1 diabetes.
1. Diabetes Type 1 happens when your pancreas ceases to produce insulin.
2. Type 1 diabetes is classed as an autoimmune disease.
3. Insulin is a hormone which controls blood sugar levels in the body.
4. It occurs when the immune system gets confused and attacks the beta cells in the pancreas.
5. It’s estimated there are 400,000 sufferers in the UK alone!
6. 96% of children diagnosed with diabetes will have type 1.
7. It doesn’t run in the family — 85% of sufferers don’t have anyone in the family who has it.
8. A sufferer will take their blood glucose levels approximately 80,000 times over the course of their lifetime.
9. They’ll also have to administer in the region of 65,000 injections.
10. Unlike with type 2 diabetes, there are no early indications that it can be effectively or partly managed by diet alone.
11. It increases the risk of developing heart disease at an earlier age.
12. And it also increases the risk of high blood pressure, stress, nerve damage and even blindness.
13. If left untreated it can cause the sufferer to enter a coma and sadly pass away.
14. It’s distinct from type 2 diabetes which is not congenital.
15. This is where your body develops insulin resistance and stops producing enough insulin.