Canby is a city in Clackamas County, Oregon, United States. Take a look below for 15 awesome and great facts about Canby, Oregon, United States.
1. The population was 15,829 at the 2010 census.
2. It is along Oregon Route 99E, 2 miles (3 km) northeast of Barlow.
3. Canby is named for Edward Richard Sprigg Canby, a Civil War general who was later killed in the Modoc War by Captain Jack and his group of warriors.
4. The area was known as Baker Prairie when the community was founded in 1857.
5. Canby was platted in 1870.
6. Canby was incorporated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on February 15, 1893.
7. In May 2016, Canby was featured on the ABC newsmagazine 20/20, when the local “Canby Psychic” was part of an investigation into the swindling of a local rancher out of $15 million.
8. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.79 square miles (9.82 km2), of which 3.75 square miles (9.71 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) is water.
9. Entering Canby from the north brings visitors past the Willamette River, and from the south through the historic community of Aurora. The Molalla River passes by the southern and western border of the city.
10. This region experiences warm and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C).
11. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Canby has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csb” on climate maps.
12. The city’s library is part of the Library Information Network of Clackamas County.
13. Canby is the home of the Clackamas County Fairgrounds, where the annual Clackamas County Fair and Rodeo has been held since 1907. The fairgrounds, located north of Oregon Route 99E, are used in August for the fair and year-round for other events.
14. Canby is home to the Canby Depot Museum and Hart’s Reptile World.
15. The Canby Herald is the city’s weekly newspaper. As of September 2018, Canby is also served by The Canby Current, a digital news source and twice-weekly podcast formerly known as the Canby Now Podcast.