Canned tuna is some of the most popular supermarket food you can buy in the West. It is affordable, comes in a variety of types and flavours, and is very easy to prepare. You can simply open a can and make yourself a healthy sandwich with minimal effort! It goes wonderfully with sweetcorn and mayonnaise. Take a look below for 14 tasty and interesting facts about tuna.
1. There are five main types of tuna consumed in the West, which are largely imported from fishing in the East. The main types include Yellowfin, Skipjack, Albacore/White, Bluefin and Bigeye.
2. In the UK, the majority of canned tuna is likely to be Albacore, Skipjack or Yellowfin. Often, it’s a mixture of the three.
3. Tuna is a fantastic source of protein for very few calories. In 100g of tuna, you could eat up to 30g of protein, with only 184kcal.
4. It’s also extremely low in sugar. However, you will need to check the cans of tuna you buy, in case any sugar or additives are put in.
5. However, many people love tuna for its fantastic variety of vitamins. It’s a strong source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B6 and B12, as well as Niacin.
6. However, you will need to be careful with sodium and cholesterol. There are around 50mg of salt per 100g of tuna, and 49mg of cholesterol per the same weight.
7. On the good side of things, tuna is said to be a fantastic source of antioxidants. Therefore, it is likely to be very popular with people interested in a diet rich in superfoods.
8. Tuna is very good for maintaining a healthy heart. Thanks to its richness in healthy omega-3 fatty acids, it is likely to fight against fatty acids which would otherwise cause you problems in the long run.
9. Studies show that diets high in omega-3 are likely to reduce your risk of coronary heart disease.
10. Tuna’s incredible protein content means that it’s fantastic for growing kids, as well as for anyone keen to lose weight or move to a lean diet.
11. Tuna also possesses fatty acids which may encourage your body to eat less. Therefore, if you are trying to lose some weight, it may be a fantastic aid in your fight.
12. Tuna is also a fantastic asset in building up your energy level. That’s thanks to the presence of B Vitamins, many of which will help to produce healthy levels of energy you can feasibly burn off.
13. Tuna will even help to boost your immune system. That’s thanks to its richness in zinc, Vitamin C, manganese and more besides. Antioxidants are great at helping your antibodies protect your body from all it may face.
14. A regular tuna diet may even help you fight cancer. Tuna’s incredible nutritional agenda has proven to help fight against certain types of cancerous cells, including those in breasts and kidneys.