We all need to sleep! Our sleeping needs vary from person to person. And for something we all do, it’s fascinating to see that there are so many interesting bits of trivia surrounding how we sleep. Take a look below for 14 awesome and interesting facts about sleeping.
1. Do you dream in full color? Believe it or not, 12% of us dream in black and white. Unless you dream regularly or deeply, it may not be so easy to know!
2. 15% of us are thought to sleepwalk during the night. You may even be a sleepwalker and not realise it!
3. Sleep isn’t something mammals will generally delay. You’ll find that house pets, for example, will just sleep when they are comfortable, and whenever they need to. Humans, however, are the only mammals who will schedule sleep.
4. Seven to nine hours of sleep a night is thought to be healthy for most adults. However, some people cope well with less, while others need more. It’s all relative!
5. However, in the USA, it’s thought that only 21% of people get enough sleep. It’s also thought that as many as 3% of people only need six hours of sleep each night.
6. One of the major causes of sleepiness during the day is a willing to delay rest and sleep. Therefore, if you’re constantly looking to cut down on your sleeping time, but are struggling to adjust, it’s probably best you stop and rethink your strategy a little.
7. It’s thought that getting less than the average is likely to stir up negative emotions, as well as stress and anxiety.
8. Newborn babies tend to sleep the most, believe it or not. They will often sleep for up to 16 hours a day – if their parents are lucky!
9. Napping is healthy. Many people choose ‘alternative’ sleep cycles if they work in specific patterns, for example. This means that they may sleep a few hours at night, before topping up in the middle of the day.
10. Many Europeans choose to sleep or nap in the middle of the day for health and safety reasons! This is known as the siesta period. They choose to nap when the Sun is at its highest, as in places such as the Mediterranean, it can be dangerous to go out in the full Sun!
11. You will likely spend up to a third of your whole life asleep. Seize the day!
12. People born blind experience dreaming much differently to able-sighted people. For example, instead of seeing things, their other senses are heightened, as are emotions.
13. Statistics show that it should generally take you around ten to fifteen minutes to fall asleep. If it takes you less than five minutes, you are likely to be in dire need.
14. We sleep in different positions based on our personalities! Around 16% of the UK sleeps in the fetal pose.