Millions of people are on a journey to lose weight every single day. Weight loss isn’t just about looking good and feeling good on the outside, it’s about making sure you are fit and healthy for the years to come! Take a look below for 12 interesting and fun facts about weight loss.
1. One of the biggest problem areas for extra weight and fat is the belly. However, studies suggest that you could actually cut down on fat in this area by eating dark chocolate regularly! We wouldn’t advise eating too much of it for the reverse effect!
2. Research suggests that some people may be more prone to gaining weight and developing type-2 diabetes than others. However, it is still suggested that a healthy diet and regular exercise are essential for offsetting these genes.
3. It may be hard for you to lose weight if you don’t get enough sleep. Sleep is important for helping to maintain our bodies’ hormones. The hormone that increases fullness and the hormone which drives hunger can fluctuate if you don’t sleep enough.
4. What happens to fat when we lose it? Believe it or not, more than 84% of it turns into carbon dioxide, and exits our bodies when we breathe out!
5. Believe it or not, the majority of weight you lose is through breathing alone. However, diet control and exercise – again – certainly can’t hurt!
6. Everyone’s metabolism differs, and it’s this which can prevent some people from losing weight at the rate they desire. It is possible to boost your metabolism through eating more protein. It’s thought to be great at helping you burn more calories in your everyday life.
7. While in some cases stress can cause weight loss, it may also prevent you from losing weight. In many cases, stress can manifest itself in the form of comfort eating, and cravings for high-carb, high-sugar foods and drinks.
8. While it may seem as though diet drinks help to cut your chance of obesity, just one can of diet pop or soda a day could increase your likelihood of obesity by 41%.
9. It’s thought that, right now, at least half of the US is on some form of diet.
10. Weight counts for more than fat alone. In fact, people who weight train actively want to gain weight in the form of muscle. If you want to lose weight, you may often be confusing the act with losing fat.
11. One thing that experts agree on is that you shouldn’t be looking at the scale every day. Weight can fluctuate at the start and at the end of the day, for example, due to fluid changes.
12. One of the most basic diet changes people make is cutting calories. However, it is extremely unhealthy to cut calories dramatically – just because you cut calories quickly, won’t mean you will lose weight any quicker.