Tieton is a city in Yakima County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,191 at the 2010 census. Take a look below for 10 interesting and obscure facts about Tieton, Washington, United States.
1. In recent years, Tieton has suffered economic depression, with the decline of its fruit warehouses.
2. As of 2007, a Seattle lawyer and the founding president of the art publishing house Marquand Books have been investing in the city and attempting to revive it, with a project they call project “Mighty Tieton.”
3. Tieton was officially incorporated on June 5, 1942.
4. Tieton gets its name from the Tieton River, meaning “roaring water”.
5. Tieton is located at 46°42′11″N 120°45′21″W (46.703160, -120.755824).
6. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.82 square miles (2.12 km2), all of it land.
7. Tieton is located near the confluence of the Tieton River with the Naches River.
8. This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Tieton has a humid continental climate, abbreviated “Dfb” on climate maps.
9. As of the census of 2010, there were 1,191 people, 358 households, and 279 families living in the town. The population density was 1,452.4 inhabitants per square mile (560.8/km2). There were 385 housing units at an average density of 469.5 per square mile (181.3/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 59.9% White, 0.3% African American, 2.4% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 31.9% from other races, and 5.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 64.4% of the population.
10. There were 358 households, of which 54.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.7% were married couples living together, 19.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.0% had a male householder with no wife present, and 22.1% were non-families. 16.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.33 and the average family size was 3.67.